Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hi moezer,

Your NetGear WN2500RP is a wireless access point that is designed to be connected in one of two ways:

1. Connect via wired cable from LAN port to the main router in the house (in your case, the 2Wire 3801HGV), and provide wireless access.
2. Connect wirelessly to the main router in the house, and provide wireless access.

Unfortunately, because of the manner in which the 2Wire routers work, method 2 is not possible. Only method 1 will work with the 2Wire equipment.

You will need to run an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire router to the desired location for the NetGear, plug it into the LAN ports of each router on both ends, and then follow post #13. The exception for you in following post #13 is that you should not turn off wireless on the 2Wire. This will give you two wireless access points in the house for better coverage.

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

With that being said, I have the option of returning the WN2500RP. Is there another piece of equipment that I can get that would allow me to accomplish what I want to do?

I should follow-up also and same my goal, first and foremost, is to be able to stream the videos located on the DS213+.  If I can accomplish that, then I am willing to settle on most of the other parts.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Not to provide an additional wireless access point. However, there are a few options to replace the Ethernet cable. There are powerline Ethernet adapters that can run the signal through the power outlets of your house, and there are MoCA adapters that can run the Ethernet signal over coax, if you already have coax wired in the house.

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

There is some existing coax from when we had Uverse TV (Prior to the wireless STB). I currently have an over-the-air antenna hooked up and running to where the RG is and connecting directly to the TV. Can I use the coax for OTA TV and Ethernet signal? If so, any product recommendations?

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Still looking for any recommendation on ethernet to coax (or at least any experiences with them) from anyone out there but I did Google it and there is very little out there. However, I found this little nugget:
http://www.netgear.com/service-provider/products/powerline-and-coax/moca/WM2500RP.aspx

but can't seem to find any place to buy it. Seems like it was just launched this past June-2013.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

It's not easy to run MoCA or HPNA along with OTA TV on the same cable without additional diplexers or adapters.

Try these powerline over Ethernet adapters instead. The reviews say they work well and they're way chepaer than MoCA or HPNA adapters:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704164

Explorer

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the tip SomeJoe. This route seems much easier and I might be able to save a couple bucks in the process. Looked up the brand and I think i'm going to try and get this Wireless N Starter kit to work:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WPA281-300Mbps-Wireless-Powerline/dp/B008IFXQDW/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1376387141&sr=1-4

I'll report back with the results.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I have everything configured but still can't route. I have the 2wire on 172.16.15.x and a Linksys E2500. I am not able to ping the router at 172.16.16.254 which is the Linksys E2500. I am trying to put my mail server in the port forwarding mode on the router. I am very close. Is there something else I need to do? I followed the directions, thought I remembered seeing something about adding a routing statement.

Thanks

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@golfer2013 wrote:

I have everything configured but still can't route. I have the 2wire on 172.16.15.x and a Linksys E2500. I am not able to ping the router at 172.16.16.254 which is the Linksys E2500. I am trying to put my mail server in the port forwarding mode on the router. I am very close. Is there something else I need to do? I followed the directions, thought I remembered seeing something about adding a routing statement.

Thanks

Did you mean for those two IP addresses to be on different subnets?

Please post what subnet is being used by the LAN side of the 2Wire, and what subnet is being used by the LAN side of the Linksys.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I thought they needed to be on different subnets? Can I keep them on the
same subnet? Based on that I got 5 static IP's is it possible to use one
more with a second router the same way?

Thank You

--
John
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.