U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

Teacher

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

 

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

 

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

 

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

 

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

 

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

 

help?

Message 1 of 636 (565,598 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

This is an old post but seems very relevant to what I am trying to do.

I had my RG 3800 set up as a "dumb modem" with an Time Capsule doing NAT and wired and wireless for a couple years.  All was well until I had a tech (not ATT)  in to install broadband dial out for my home security system.  It was disasterous... took all day and when the guy left my Apple gear was unplugged.  The good news is that the network was working, though in ATT standard configuration and the security system was working.  I have spent two days and found at least three different recipes for getting back to RG 3800 being the modem, the Time Capsule doing the rest.  This post looked worth a try.  Where I know it fails is when I attempt to put the Time Capsule in DMZ.  I get the message that the device has a static IP. In Airport Utilities>Internet> Connect Using: is set to DHCP, IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.66, The Renew DHCP Lease does nothing. Router Address is 192.168.1.254, DNS is same.  When I look at LAN devices on the RG I have a device with IP of  70.138.xxx.xx which looks like the Gateway's WAN IP This is shown as a DMZ device with a disabled firewall, Public WAN IP mapping and Router WAN IP.  I have restarted the Time Capsule several times with the same result.  I am not keen to take the RG down as I do have an internet connection... can ask this question and maybe get an answer.

Message 451 of 636 (2,745 Views)
Expert

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]

You may have to factory reset the RG to get it to enable the DMZPlus mode for the Time Capsule. You can factory reset the RG using the last button on this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

After that, follow post 2 in this thread to set up the DMZPlus mode.

 

Message 452 of 636 (2,735 Views)
Tutor

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]
 
Message 453 of 636 (2,769 Views)
Contributor

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I was having the same problem: worked forever (modem in DMZplus mode, Airport Extreme handling NAT, etc) but a power outage brought back the Double NAT error. When following the instructions again at the top of this thread, I too got the error message about my router having a static IP. After some trial and error, I realized you just need to delete the router from the list of devices and have the modem "re-see" it:

1) On the U-Verse router, go to Settings > LAN
2) Go to the Devices section about midway down the page
3) Click "Clear List" (this is the key step)
4) Go to Firewall > Applications, Pinholes and DMZ and select your router (I entered my router's IP address instead of trusting the device that auto-appeared).

After that I simply had to refresh my router's IP address (per the original instructions in this thread) and voila.
Message 454 of 636 (2,647 Views)

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

Hi, I have an Exchange 2013 mail server I want to assign one of the public IP's too but the Uverse modem/router only allows me to assign a public IP to a DHCP device and all of my servers are static. I have some other servers like a Windows 2012 Essentials that is a DC that I would like to assign an IP to and port 443.

 

Any idea how to assign a public IP to a devive with an internal static IP?

 

Thanks

Message 455 of 636 (2,575 Views)
Expert

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?


golfer2013 wrote:

Hi, I have an Exchange 2013 mail server I want to assign one of the public IP's too but the Uverse modem/router only allows me to assign a public IP to a DHCP device and all of my servers are static. I have some other servers like a Windows 2012 Essentials that is a DC that I would like to assign an IP to and port 443.

 

Any idea how to assign a public IP to a devive with an internal static IP?


 

The U-Verse 2Wire gateways do not support multihomed hosts (i.e. hosts with more than one IP address).  So you cannot assign both a private internal and a public external IP address to the same server.

 

You can do it one of two ways:

 

1. Assign only the public external IP address to the server (either statically, or via DHCP from the 2Wire).  If you do DHCP and assign the IP address from the public range you've purchased, the 2Wire will always hand out the same IP address to that server, so the IP address really isn't "dynamic" except in mechanism.

 

2. If you want the server on a private IP address, then you have no choice but to use your own router and set it up as the DMZPlus device as shown in post 2 of this thread.  You will only be able to use ONE of your public IP addresses like this, and you'll have to input the appropriate NAT translation entries and firewall pinholes into your router.  The reason you can only use 1 IP address is the same reason as above -- the router would be multihomed (multiple IP addresses, 1 MAC address).

 

Message 456 of 636 (2,566 Views)

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT

Thank you, that will work. If I wanted to also host a web site with 443 I
could use their supplied one and essentially host 2 devices?

Thank You, this is great knowledge

--
John
Message 457 of 636 (2,564 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT

Be warned that if you don't have static IP, and you have U-verse IPTV with wireless receivers, AT&T will reserve the 443 port for its own use to control the WAP that talks to the wireless receivers.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 458 of 636 (2,559 Views)

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT

Thanks, then I will just use a static IP from the pool for the mail server for the mail server and be done with it. The mail server uses 443 for OWA so I can't use that with their IP either.

Message 459 of 636 (2,557 Views)

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

SomeJoe, the trick is since it is a Windows network if I use DHCP on a server getting it to resolve properly in DNS. I could probably do it with the host file and make things work. I will play around with option 1 this weekend. I am not sure how Outlook will function either but it will be fun to try.

 

Thank You


SomeJoe7777 wrote:

golfer2013 wrote:

Hi, I have an Exchange 2013 mail server I want to assign one of the public IP's too but the Uverse modem/router only allows me to assign a public IP to a DHCP device and all of my servers are static. I have some other servers like a Windows 2012 Essentials that is a DC that I would like to assign an IP to and port 443.

 

Any idea how to assign a public IP to a devive with an internal static IP?


 

The U-Verse 2Wire gateways do not support multihomed hosts (i.e. hosts with more than one IP address).  So you cannot assign both a private internal and a public external IP address to the same server.

 

You can do it one of two ways:

 

1. Assign only the public external IP address to the server (either statically, or via DHCP from the 2Wire).  If you do DHCP and assign the IP address from the public range you've purchased, the 2Wire will always hand out the same IP address to that server, so the IP address really isn't "dynamic" except in mechanism.

 

2. If you want the server on a private IP address, then you have no choice but to use your own router and set it up as the DMZPlus device as shown in post 2 of this thread.  You will only be able to use ONE of your public IP addresses like this, and you'll have to input the appropriate NAT translation entries and firewall pinholes into your router.  The reason you can only use 1 IP address is the same reason as above -- the router would be multihomed (multiple IP addresses, 1 MAC address).

 


 

Message 460 of 636 (2,556 Views)
Contributor

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I'm trying to replace my 2WIRE 3800HGV-B with a Cisco/Linksys E4200.
I've copied/cloned the MAC address of my 2WIRE to the E4200, and set the E4200 to use dynamic rather than fixed IPs.
This has seemingly worked well, but after 10-14 days everything stops.
Are there additional settings that need to be made on the E4200 to get this to work?
It's not clear to me whether the E4200 has to track/poll AT&T to detect changes in IP leases, or whether AT&T pushes/notifies the E4200 of a new IP.
VERY frustrating.
If it's not possible to replace the 2WIRE with the E4200, I guess the more complicated fallback position is to do what others appear to have done successfully, - namely turn the 2WIRE into a kind of faux-bridge to which the E4200 is attached.

Message 461 of 636 (2,450 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]

tbev wrote:
I'm trying to replace my 2WIRE 3800HGV-B with a Cisco/Linksys E4200.
I've copied/cloned the MAC address of my 2WIRE to the E4200, and set the E4200 to use dynamic rather than fixed IPs.
This has seemingly worked well, but after 10-14 days everything stops.
Are there additional settings that need to be made on the E4200 to get this to work?
It's not clear to me whether the E4200 has to track/poll AT&T to detect changes in IP leases, or whether AT&T pushes/notifies the E4200 of a new IP.
VERY frustrating.
If it's not possible to replace the 2WIRE with the E4200, I guess the more complicated fallback position is to do what others appear to have done successfully, - namely turn the 2WIRE into a kind of faux-bridge to which the E4200 is attached.


You cannot replace the 2WIRE 3800 with the E4200, as the E4200 doesn't have the circuitry/logic to handle the VDSL2  protocol spoken between the 2WIRE and the VRAD.  

 

You may place the E4200 in Router behind the 2WIRE configuration. Please go back to the first page of this thread, and look at the very first reply.  It will tell you how to do that.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 462 of 636 (2,448 Views)
Contributor

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

Trying to set up a Buffalo N300 behind my 2Wire RG in order to take advantage of 802.11n. I've been using the Router WAN to RG LAN solution and it's worked fine except for some port forwarding issues (Xbox LIVE disconnects every few minutes even after UPnP and port forwarding). I'd like to try the LAN to LAN solution. My questions are: when using the router LAN to RG LAN solution, do you still put the router in DMZPlus? And what should I do to the firewall check boxes in the RG Firewall section? PS: I will disable wireless on the RG, and disable DHCP on the router. Will this make it so the router is the access point and the RG handles IP addresses? Thanks

Message 463 of 636 (2,467 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?


miket0429 wrote:

 My questions are: when using the router LAN to RG LAN solution, do you still put the router in DMZPlus?

 

No.

 

And what should I do to the firewall check boxes in the RG Firewall section?

 

Treat these as if you didn't have the new router/access point at all.

 

PS: I will disable wireless on the RG, and disable DHCP on the router. Will this make it so the router is the access point and the RG handles IP addresses?

 

Yes.


 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 464 of 636 (2,460 Views)
Contributor

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

   Thanks SomeJoe for your help here.  It's my first time using Uverse so I have same questions as many people here.  How to use my "state-of-the-art" wireless router with the RG?   My RG is 3801HGV and I can't believe it's still a b/g wireless router.  ATT charged $6 per month for renting this piece and it's worse than my 12 year old wireless router that I used before.  Anyway, I went to this forum and find a way to bypass it.  No perfect solution.  I have only 2 options: post 2 or post 13.  My goal is I want to keep all the setttings on my router so when I switch back to cable , I don't have to set up my router again.  I only have NAS storage to share files and couple IP cameras so I set up port forwarding on my own router.  I went thru almost 464 messages here (sorry I don't have time to go thru all of them Smiley Happy ).  My question is if I use post 2 solution, can I leave the wireless function of the RG enabled?  If yes, should it be set to same SSID, password, channel,... as my wireless router?  Do the computers connecting to RG in this case can see the computers connecting to my router?  I prefer post 13 solution so I can put one upstair and 1 downstair to have better wireless coverage.  I plan to connect the 2 routers thru livewire (using your house power wires as network cable).  Do you know if I have to setup port forwarding on the RG for my IP cam in this case?  Thanks.

Message 465 of 636 (2,381 Views)