Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to use a proxy (BTGuard) with my Mac Mini and MacBook that are connected to a 2wire 3800HGV-B (Uverse). I've tried opening the ports that the proxy is using to no avail. When I try it as a PC (running Paralells) it works fine, which leads me to beleive the Macs are not getting along with the 2wire. Would opening the 2wire on DMZPlus to an Airport Extreme resolve this issue? And would the Airport Extreme act as the firewall? Any help would be appreciated. I hate running Paralells. Thanks!

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

11 years ago

To SomeJoe7777:

I am trying to setup my Linksys router as a wireless access point behind a Gateway.  I am following one of your earlier post on this.  I can disable the WI-FI on the Gateway.  On the Local Network Tab of the Linksys I can disable the DHCP server and set the Linksys IP address to be on the same subset as the Gateway but outside its DHCP range.  I have some questions however:

1) The Linksys Internet Settings Tab shows the Internet Connection Type as "Auto Configuration - DHCP".  Do I leave that as is?  If I try to set it as Static IP then it asks for IPv4, Subset Mask, Default Gateway and DNS 1 addresses that I am unable to set up.  If I leave it as "Auto Configuration - DHCP" it appears to work ok.  Is that the correct setting?

2) On the Advanced Routing Tab, NAT is enabled.  Do I leave that as is also?

Many thanks

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

11 years ago

To SomeJoe7777

A little more detail on my earlier post this afternoon.  At the moment I am trying to set up a new router as an access point behind an old router to test this setup for a new UV Gateway.  Regading my question on the Internet Connection Type - Automatic Configuration DHCP.  I can actually change that to Static IP on the new router and fetch addresses from the old router "status" page.  However, when I reboot the modem/old router, the modem gets a new IP address of course and the default gateway changes also.  Subnet Mask stays at 255.255.255.0 and DNS 1 stays at 192.168.0.1   It appears to work ok nonetheless either way - either with Static IP and the now incorrect Internet IPv4 address and incorrect default gateway address and also appears to work ok if I just set the Internet Connection Type to Automatic - DHCP.  Of course the DHCP Server on the new router is turned off ok.  So which way should I leave it so there are no conflicts.  Unfortunately I am not very knowledgeable on this.  Your help appreciated....

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

You just need to follow post 13 in this thread to set up your Linksys as a wireless access point.

The settings you are referring to regarding Internet connection type are not applicable to this configuration, so just leave those settings at the default.

Check your connections carefully -- for post 13, the link between the 2Wire and your Linksys is LAN to LAN ... the WAN port on your Linksys is not used.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe7777,

I have followed your post 13 verbatim (no problem on the LAN to LAN).  What confused me on that post is the word "static" on item no. 3, I quote:   "Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP....."   so I was trying to accomplish that by changing the Internet Connection Type from "Auto -DHCP" to "Static IP".  I will leave it as-is.  Thanks for the help,   🙂

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Ah, I understand. There should be another section in the configuration pages of the Linksys for the LAN IP address, not the WAN/Internet address. This is what you need to find and change. This is also where the DHCP server can be turned off.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

11 years ago

Indeed... Linksys EA4500 - there is a tab called Local Network that allows me to edit the LAN IP address of the router and turn off DHCP.  I have done that successfully.  There is also a tab called Internet Settings that allows me to change form "Auto - DHCP" to "Static IP".  I was confused about the Static IP part but based on your earlier post I now have at default - Auto - DHCP and left NAT enabled on another tab, default also.  Everything appears to be working OK...  Thanks again, great resource 🙂

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I have a 2Wire 3801HGV-B with uverse and I'm trying to set it up as a bridge to a Linksys E2000 router.  I tried to follow the steps in post #2, but I get hung up on step 3. I performed the following steps:

I have the internet port on the E2000 plugged into one of the LAN parts on the 2Wire, and my computer plugged into the lan port of the E2000. 

-Reset both to factory settings

-logged into the e2000 and disabled hdcp server and set IP address to 1.192.168.2.1.

-Rebooted the router and checked the status and saw that no IP address has been assigned.  Unable to browse the internet. 

- Unplugged my computer and plugged it directly into the 2Wire.  Went to Firewall>Applications, Pinholes and DMZ and only my computer shows up as a device, not the router. 

As this point I can't go any farther, and I messed around with any setting I could think of with no effect.  I would appreciate any guidance you can give me. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Check the E2000 carefully. There are two places for DHCP settings.

There is the DHCP server, which operates on the LAN ports. You can leave this on, it doesn't need to be disabled in your case.

Then there is the addressing mechanism for the WAN interface, which is a DHCP client. This must be on and set to receive an address on the WAN interface via DHCP. Otherwise, the E2000 will not get an address from the 2Wire.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I think I may have been trying to do too many things at once.  I ran through the whole thing again very carefully and it worked this time. Was gonna come back and delete my post but you beat me to it 🙂

Thanks for the info. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.