Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Explorer

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not sure of this stat "Output Power" I used the UV Realtime App and this stat shows in orange as if it isn't quite up to par.

The 12.9 dBm is downstream and -11.5 dBm is upstream, I'm on internet only no voice no tv and 24/3 FTTN. If anyone can direct me to the description and range of this stat or some examples of it I'd appreciate it.

Output Power12.9 dBm-11.5 dBm

• 

142 Messages

11 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I cannot seem to get this to work for the life of me.

Uverse Support said it wasn't possible to do what we're describing with the equipment I have. They told me it's only possible with the 2wire 2701.

I have the i3612V iNid and the i38HG.

I've tried two different routers to get this to work, and each time, I get an error that reads: 

Errors The selected device has a static IP address. DMZplus requires that the selected device use DHCP to obtain its IP address.

The thing is, both my router's WAN ports are set to DHCP. If I go into my LAN IP Address Allocation in the uverse gateway, I see that it gets confused on what devices are DHCP and which ones are actually static IP addresses. The routers are assigned DHCP addresses successfuly, but the i38HG seems to think they are static (wt-f???)

How can I get this uverse to recognize one of these routers as being assigned via DHCP. I don't get it, but these boxes are STUPID. If I can't get this to work, I'm going back to Time Warner, as I simply need to features that my i38HG can't provide. 

Also, I've made sure that the LAN subnet on my inside router is different than that of the i38HG.

Any suggestions?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

11 years ago

I see you use the plural quite a lot... you have two routers behind the RG?

If so, you can't have them both in DMZplus mode.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Only 1 router at a time. Tried two because I thought for some reason one router was making the Uverse RG think it was getting it's IP statically. 

Any idea why the uverse RG would think that an IP is assigned statically when it in fact handed out the IP via DHCP?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Wow, I read most of the posts in this thread over the last couple of weeks.  I'm mostly network illiterate so alot of the terms being used in this thread, I have no idea what it does or means.

I have a couple of questions.

First my setup: I have UVerse Max @ 12Mbps and UVerse TV w/ two receivers one is wireless.  XBOX360, Toshiba HDDVD player, a Sony TV all connected to the RG.  A PS3, Sony blu-ray player, WDTV Live, WDTV Play, Macbook Pro and a printer all connected wireless.  In addition, I have two Linksys WRT54GL w/ dd-WRT, one is setup as its own network in the garage (for connectivity of an IP camera), I believe as a repeater bridge?  The other is acting as a bridge on the same network as the RG (with another Sony TV connected).  I also have two Network IP cameras hooked up to each Linksys.

I received a WD My Net N900 which I would like to use as my router.  If I use this as my router will I see better performance, for example, improved internet speeds (my Macbook Pro is N capable), less drop outs with the IP cameras, improved media streaming?  Also, which installation procedure do I need to run from post #2 or post #13?  I'm assuming since I'll be connecting a XBOX360 to the N900 that I will need post #2?

I'm a little worried since I don't have too much experience with setting up networks and I don't want to cause any interruption with my connectivity.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

It is doubtful that you will see any improvement in Internet performance. However, the wireless N may improve the IP camera issues since N wireless can carry more traffic than G wireless, especially when multiple devices are involved.

You should follow post #2 if you want to set this up.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks Joe!  When I get enough courage to install my WD router, I'll give #2 a shot.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

I have a separate problem going over on this thread, that has to do with www.google.com not working.  This has occured after I have setup my linksys wrt310n similar to POST 2 of this thread.  And I am also using openDNS as my DNS on my linksys router.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with www.google.com not working after setting up the 2Wire - personal router like this.

Please see this thread and feel free to add your comment on that thread or on (this one):

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/gateway/message-id/8737/print-single-message/false/page/1

Thanks Ken

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Joe,

One last questrion, do I need to keep my RG's wireless signal on in order for the wireless and wired STB to function?  Or can I turn it off and hook up the ATT wireless access box which came with the wireless STB into one of the ports on my WD router?  Thanks in advance!

I performed step #2 and everthing seems to be working fine...fingers crossed.  My bedroom Dropcam is connected wirelessly to the WD router and seems to be steaming ok.  My garage Dropcam is connected to my Linksys ddWRT setup as a repeater bridge.

So now it appears my setup consists of 3 separate "networks" - one in the garage, one from the WD router, one from RG.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.