Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Great. Thanks.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Hi SomeJoe,

My window7 VPN fails to work after installing U-verse 2Wire 3600HGV-B.  I recently switched from ATT DSL to U-verse Internet and was provided with a 2Wire 3600HGV-B.  I can not connect to my company's VPN.  After gone thru 2wire's support page "VPN Connectivity and Troubleshooting",  tried DMZPlus mode, verified IP scheme. VPN is still not connect.  From the support page, it is either the VPN is using the IPSec 50 or 51, I have no problem with the old ATT DSL modem before.  is there any work around?  Please help

Thanks for your time.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

We need to know exactly what type of VPN your company is using. The following VPN types are known to work properly with the 2Wire equipment:

- Windows PPTP
- L2TP/IPSec
- IPSec type 50
- IKE/IPSec using IPSec type 50 (only if the DMZPlus device)

IPSec type 51 probably will not work.

You also may want to contact your company's IT department and make sure they know you switched ISP services. They may need to make a security change on their end.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I just use Window7 preload VPN and my wife's NB uses Cisco Anyconnect VPN client.  Both VNP don't connect.  Thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

A standard Windows 7 VPN as well as the Cisco VPN client should both work without issue.

I would suspect that there's something wrong with your 2Wire. I would recommend you reset it to factory defaults using the reset button at the bottom of the following page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

Use the button at the bottom that says "Reset to Factory Defaults". If you have any custom settings in the 2Wire RG, like a custom wireless SSID or password, or custom DHCP settings, firewall settings, etc. you need to write those down before you do the reset so that you can put them back in later.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

After resetting 2Wire back to factory defaults and open DMZplus mode.  The VPN is not connecting.  I have been using this VPN for few years and travel to many companies/places with my NB and I don't have this problem before switching to U-verse. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't know what else to tell you.  I use PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and IKE/IPSec VPN connections all the time through my U-Verse connection with a 2Wire 3800 without any issues.

I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare. They are part of the AT&T customer service team and may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

AT&T customer care can also be found online through these channels.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I just bought the Netgear R6300. I have the Uverse 2Wire 3600.  Currently my desktop is plugged into a LAN port on the 2Wire, and everything else in the house is on the wireless network of the 2Wire.

I bought the Netgear to improve the strength and range of my wireless signal. After reading thru all 12 pages here, it looks like my best option is to follow post #13. To make sure I understand things correctly:

1) Turn off DHCP on the Netgear (uncheck the box at routerlogin.net that says "Use Router as DHCP Server."

2) Change it to LAN to LAN. (I currently have it as LAN to WAN on the Netgear so I can access routerlogin.net - otherwise I wouldn't know how to access routerlogin.net for the Netgear).

3) I'm not quite sure how to determine what my range is for the 2Wire, but all assigned IP addresses show as 192.168.1.64-87. I assume the example you gave of setting it to 192.168.1.10 would be alright.

I do this on the same screen where it says "LAN TCP/IP Setup IP Address 10.0.0.1 and IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0"  Just change the 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.10, correct?

4) Do I need to do anything else? Turn off the wireless on the 2Wire? Reboot any systems? Plug my desktop into the Netgear LAN or keep it in the 2Wire LAN?

I appreciate your time here... it is very much appreciated!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

I recommend you access your NetGear router directly, using it's LAN IP address, rather than using routerlogin.net.

See the following thread for an example and some detailed pointers on what to do and what to try to accomplish:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/Using-my-Belkin-router-with-the-2wire/td-p/3373355

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

SomeJoe,

Followed the directions at the link you provided. Thank you.

Looks like things are good... final question - does it matter if I have my desktop plugged into the Netgear or the 2Wire? It is not wireless and needs the wired connection into one of the routers. Was just wondering if it mattered.

Thank you once again!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.