Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I tried searching for the answer, but either it was beyond my understanding or I just could not find the information.

I have a 3801HGV and I am looking to "bridge" it to an Asus RT-N56U dual band router. Obviously, it will not be a full bridge, but close enough (according to what I have read). My question is, will the new router have control of the traffic shaping or will that still be under the 2wire gateway? I am not knowledgable enough with wireless/internet terms and uses to know if this will work, but it was my understanding that QoS from the Asus would be superior to what is used on the 2wire. Would this be true or should I just use the Asus as an access point for the dual band frequencies?

My main applications are gaming, watching HD videos, and sometimes torrenting.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

If you set up router-behind-router, your router (your Asus) will have full control of QOS within the limits of the Internet package that you've purchased.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

So you are only interested in the wireless aspect of the router?

In that case, you do not want to follow these directions at all, since you do not need special routing functionality.  Instead, all you want is a wireless access point.

To do this, do the following:

1. Turn off DHCP on your router.

2. Change the link between the 2Wire router and your router to use the LAN ports on both ends.  (In other words, plug the cable from one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire to one of the LAN ports of your router.  Leave your router's WAN port empty).

3. Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router.  For example, if the 2Wire router is using 192.168.1.x, and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, set your router to 192.168.1.10.

4. If necessary, configure the wireless parameters on your router, such as SSID, encryption, pre-shared key, and MAC filtering.

Your wireless computers connected to your router will now be able to communicate with wired computers on the 2wire router since everything will be on the same subnet.

So I don't need to turn off the wireless functionality in the RG (is this even possible)? What's keeping the wireless devices from connecting to the RG if wireless is enabled on both? 

Thanks

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Some people want their own wireless access point to augment the coverage provided by the RG (for example, to increase signal strength in a large house -- the RG downstairs and their own router upstairs).

Other people want to completely replace the RG's wireless with their own wireless router.

If you want to do the former, then don't turn off wireless on the RG.

If you want to do the latter, then yes, you can turn off wireless on the RG using the web interface.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Yes, I am part of the latter. I would like to have 802.11n functionality, but would still like to have the RG do all the things a normal router would do (DHCP, etc).

Thanks for your quick and thorough reply! I think I have all the information I need now.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Jeez 10 pages and not another person needing to do VPN... I have the vpn router setup in dmz plus with the external ip, no problem getting the internet to work. I have the 3600hgv setup as 172.16.0.1, and the vpn router as 192.168.0.254 , and a windows server doing DHCP for all the computers. (the 2wire has dhcp on obviously to give the router the static external ip).

I can create vpn tunnels, and they establish the tunnel / so are succesfully agreeing on the key / encryption. But i am not able to ping the other computers on either side, from either side, so essentially no data goes over the VPN once established. I have all the advanced firewall rules off on the 2wire device, so the only thing left that im thinking maybe you did different is the part about overloading NAT on your vpn device, but i dont know what that means and im using a netgear fvs318n and dont know any option similar.

Any ideas?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

What type of VPN? What device is the VPN server and how is it connected to this network? Is this an inbound or outbound tunnel? Do you have proper IP routing on your VPN device?

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

ComputerJoe and SomeJoe-

Follow up with the answer. I haven't had time to devote to this due to work related projects. In gathering the data you requested, I was reviewing the settings on my NAS. What I found buried in the server settings was the problem and thus the solution. It turns out the devices that were the problem that were those that had static ip addresses. In reviewing their network settings, all of them  had the dns and gateway assigned to Comcast.net, not gateway.2wire.net. Once I changed that in the settings on my nas and ip camera - everything returned to the way it was before I switched to Uverse. Nice!  I was able to find the correct settings from my iMac, which gets its ip via dhcp from my router.   I feel like an i,d,i,o,t.  So...the instructions to get it in to bridge mode worked perfectly for me. The only thing to add, would be to remind people who follow your instructions to make sure all the network settings for all networked devices change accordingly. 

Thanks again for your patience and sage advice. 

Here is one additional question. My linksys router for some reason today lost its Internet connection.  I was able to do a quick check to verify it had an ip address from the 2Wire. I unplugged and reset the 2wire and all worked well following thisreboot. Any ideas?  Should I expect this to happen every month?  I believe my external ip has not changed. 

Thanks. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Glad everything's working.

Today's oddity may have just been that the RG needed a reboot due to everything on the network getting recent configuration changes. If it happens again, start a new thread and we'll troubleshoot.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
What type of VPN? What device is the VPN server and how is it connected to this network? Is this an inbound or outbound tunnel? Do you have proper IP routing on your VPN device?

Hey SJ, don't you have a VPN thread going already?

If not, it looks like we have another project for you, just in case your plate is not full enough yet.Smiley Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.