Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Go back and start over, follow post 2 again. Your router and the RG should NOT be on the same subnet. See also post #7 in this thread:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723229#M307

Your RG should be on 192.168.1.254/24, your Linksys should be on 192.168.2.1/24 (LAN), and DHCP for the WAN. When you configure the RG for DMZPlus, the Linksys will then pick up your external IP address on its WAN (the RG will hand it the external IP via DHCP).

After this, cameras should work locally using http://192.168.2.x. Cameras should work externally using http://: or http://:.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

Got it.  I didn't quite get the difference in subnet.  The RG is handing the external IP without difficulty.  I can reset the RG back to 192.168.1.254 and then change the linksys to the 192.168.2.1.  I was hoping to avoid having to change the IP addresses of all of the devices in the house, but understand that I have to do it.

Thanks for the great advice.

JW

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

Not sure I have time to address this tonight. 

But, last night I changed the RG ip address via the settings-> LAN->DHCP to the 172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0 selection.  This changed my RG ip address to 172.16.0.1.  I then put the router back to the settings that worked for me - ip address 192.168.1.1 and was able to access the web and external IP handoff worked seamlessly.  However, with this setup I was unable access the other devices that were connected to the router - which for some reason were not visible (see my previous post).  Any explanation for that?  All devices have an ip address 192.168.1.x and are connected wirelessly to the router. 

Thanks for the education!

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

Argh! Re-ran post #2. (I left the dmz open to the router). Left RG at 192.168.1.254. Verified external ip. Rebooted router and changed ip to 192.168.2.1, understanding I would have to change all ip settings for devices (cameras, server, etc). Now, even though the rg lists the router and says the ip for the router is the external ip, the router cannot connect to the Internet. I've rebooted a bunch of times. No luck. Serves me right for starting this at night. Suggestions?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Remember that when you change IP addressing schemes, every device on the network needs to be rebooted/reset because most devices cache the MAC address-to-IP address mappings.

Your post where you were changing the RG to 172.16.0.0/16 should work, and this would enable your router to use 192.168.1.1. Just do it in this order:

1. Change LAN range on RG to 172.16.0.0/16, reboot RG
2. Reset Linksys, ensure outside IP address stays as the external
3. Change Linksys LAN to 192.168.1.1/24
4. Reboot Linksys, reboot your computer you're using to manage the Linkys
5. Verify internet connectivity from your computer
6. Change static IPs on other devices, reset/reboot
7. For all other DHCP devices, reset/reboot

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks much.  Will give it a try.  I hadn't rebooted the RG - probably need to do that.

When I wrote the other night, I had the RG IP set to the 172.16.0.0/16 and the Linksys to 192.168.1.1 (external ip was passed seamlessly to the linksys).  Unfortunately, as mentioned, I was unable to access all the devices (cameras, server, etc) even though they had been re-booted as well and even though they indicated connected and I was able to connect via port forwarding through the external IP.

I think hoping to have everything work the way it was wishing for too much.  Will likely have to reset everything and start over.

HOpefully will have positive news tonight.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

Progress report:

Set RG IP to 172.16.0.0/16.  IP of RG set to 172.16.0.1.  Couldn't reboot RG as wife was watching tv.

However, the external IP was 108.xxx.xx.xx.

Set the Linksys back to 192.168.1.1 and rebooted. 

External IP was passed successfully to Linksys and was able to connect to internet.  Success! 

Almost.

2 dlink cameras with fixed IP addresses (before switching from Comcast) show green led indicating they are connected to my wireless router.  However, the router does not show they are connected.

I cannot get to the cameras via 192.168.1.11 or .12 (their assigned IP addresses) even after re-booting both cameras.

I cannot get to the cameras via 192.168.1.1:81 or :82 (their assigned ports via port fowarding).  This all worked previously.

However, I CAN get to the cameras via external IP:81 or :81 or :82.

Fascinating and frustrating.  Any ideas?  Would UPnP (active) have anything to do with this?

Thoughts?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Your cameras are connected to the LAN ports on the Linksys, correct?

Attempt to ping the cameras from your computer. If you can't ping them, something is not hooked up right, or they don't have the IP addresses you think they do.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

I should have clarified.  The cameras are wireless IP cameras.  I can ping them successfully. 

I cannot access them via their local IP address or via port forwarding through the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1:81).

I can get to them via :81

Mydlink.com which establishes a link with the cameras says the cameras are offline.  I had trouble establishing this in the past due to having a server on the network that I wanted to be able to access via port 80).

Let me outline the entire network:

RG -> LInksys e4200 -> home wireless network (ipads, phones, wireless ip cameras)

-> Linksys e4200 -> switch -> wired imac, readynas server, receiver, blu ray

The cameras and the server have dedicated, fixed IP while the receiver and blu ray are assigned via dhcp (by the router).

I'm not even bothering yet with the receiver, blu ray and server until I can prove I can get the wireless ip cameras to work.

Thanks very much for all of your help!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Well, if you have no wireless connectivity at layer 2, then you have to fix that first. You either have mismatched wireless config parameters on the Linksys and the cameras (SSID, encryption type, encryption password), or you have MAC address filtering in place.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.