Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@aaearon wrote:

First off props for all the support/info you've provided for this thread. I'm going to ask a question I think I already know the answer to but I'm hoping I will be surprised.

My current set up is just the 2wire RG. Since I live in an apartment and I cannot run Ethernet in the walls and my S/O finds it unacceptable to have Ethernet running across the apartment, I am using the two set top boxes as bridges (I have switches that filter out the IGMP multicast connected to the Ethernet ports of the set top boxes and have devices connected to those switches. This actually works pretty well.)  I'm wanting to use a router running DD-WRT to do all my work and turn my RG into a simple modem like in post #2.

Heres the deal though: I want to use the DD-WRT router to hand out DHCP and I need the DD-WRT router because I need to be able to add static routes to another router (pfsense that is infront of my lab network) Is this possible? If I do like in post #2, my RG is running 192.168.1.x and my DD-WRT router would be on 192.168.2.x however since all devices are using set top boxes as bridges, I don't see any way to get them on the 192.168.2.x network and off of 192.168.1.x and I still cant do static routes with the limitation of the 2wire RG. I'm thinking what I will basically need to do is

-keep RG IP as 192.168.1.254 and do the information as outlined in post #2

-set DD-WRT router IP as 192.168.1.1

-disable DHCP on the RG (I don't think this is possible. Hope I am wrong)
-enable DHCP on the DD-WRT

What does everyone think?

I don't think so. The STBs will not work if there is any kind of router between them and the RG (a switch is OK). No you can not disable DHCP on the RG.

This is what I would try. On your DDWRT router turn off DHCP, set it to use 192.168.1.2 as it's local address, set it up to be in the DMZ on the RG, and connect a cable from both a LAN port and the WAN port to LAN ports on the RG. Set up your clients (downstream from the STBs) to use DHCP for IP addresses from the RG, but hard code them to use the DDWRT router as their gateway and DNS server. Might work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

CJ,

That's not going to work because the DD-WRT router will have the same subnet on both the LAN and the WAN. It can't route like that.

His idea to use powerline Ethernet adapters will work. He could also replace the NetGear GS108 switches with GS108T switches and configure VLANs.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
CJ,

That's not going to work because the DD-WRT router will have the same subnet on both the LAN and the WAN. It can't route like that.

His idea to use powerline Ethernet adapters will work. He could also replace the NetGear GS108 switches with GS108T switches and configure VLANs.

Ah, I was figuring on the DDWRT router having the public IP on the WAN side from the DMZ on the RG thus only having one DHCP server, but parallel gateways. I guess if were to work you'd have to wait for the public IP to be assigned to the WAN side before plugging in the LAN to LAN cable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

So the powerline adapters worked like everyone expected but it seems like the throughput on them is no good. I had everything set up and working fine but when the Apartment Captain (I saw this earlier in the thead and I am shamelessly stealing it) went to stream media, it seems like the powerline adapter wasn't good enough to stream 720p and she was not happy! That is a whole nother issue on its own. I reverted back to my original set up just using the residential gateway and no DD-WRT router.

Trying to decide if I want to 1) Throw in the towel, return the router and powerline adapters and just use logmein to RDP into boxes in my lab network giving up on my idea 2) mess with the powerline adapters and somehow improve the throughput or 3) try switches that support VLAN.

I just want some routes between networks 😛

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Which power line adapters did you get? If you picked up some of the 85Mbps ones, they are known to work only marginally well.

The 200Mbps ones are based on a completely different chipset, and will work much better (not just throughput-wise, but they handle broadcast and multicast packets much better).

You might want to return the ones you have and try the 200Mbps ones from a reputable company.

If that doesn't work, you might only have to spend a little bit more money to get VLAN-capable switches. Post back if you want to try that and I'll point you to some examples.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

My apologies. Don't mean to hijack the thread but I hope by asking these questions I can get an answer to summarize what is probably detailed in many prior posts. I have moderate router and networking knowledge and have found more than one answer to this question. Having just switched to Uverse from Comcast, I am in a similar position of having a router (linksys e4200) already configured: port forwarding to a server, plex media center streaming to offsite computers, dlink ip cameras to watch the kids. I also have a domain name from tzo which is updated by the ddns function of the router (presumably for when Comcast changes my ip address). I would like to keep the router as configured and only change the RG settings. The confusion comes from reading the various suggestions of how to do this and not understanding (despite all the reading) various terminologies which may or may not be being used interchangeably. 1. What's the difference between bridge mode, pass thru mode, rg as modem or putting the router in the RG's dmz? 2. One suggestion has been to check the "router behind router" box and let the rg do the work. Seems too simple. No? 3. Suggestions in post 2 of this thread. 4. Last comes from 2wire guide which suggests this is bridge mode: Bridge mode is used to configure devices on the LAN with a broadband IP . When the gateway is into bridge mode you can use a supplementary network or a third party router to handle the traffic. The gateway will only function as a direct connection to the phone line. Note By default, the gateway is configured in the routing mode. When routing is disabled, the NAT and the DHCP server are also disabled. Confirm with the ISP that the WAN protocol is compatible with bridging mode. 1. Navigate to Settings > Broadband > Link Configuration. Configure the following section of the Link Configuration page to enable the bridge mode and add supplementary networks: 2. Select the Use Broadband IPs on LAN check box. This enables bridge mode on the gateway. 3. Enter the subnet mask address in the Specify usable subnet mask text box. You must specify this address on the LAN devices or supplementary network devices while configuring the subnet mask. The recommended subnet mask address is 255.255.255.0. 4. Select the Auto Firewall Open check box. This disables the firewall of the gateway. Make sure that you select this option because the firewall must be disabled for the bridge mode to function. 5. Select the Use the built-in system MAC address radio button from the System MAC Address section to use the configured MAC address. OR Select the Override the built-in MAC address radio button from the System MAC Address section, and mention a MAC address of your choice in the Specify MAC address text box. 6. Leave the Upstream MTU value as is. This is the maximum size allowed on packets that are communicated between your network and your ISP . 7. Select the Add Additional Network check box to tail a router from the Local Ethernet port located at the back panel of the gateway. This adds a secondary network to the broadband WAN interface. 8. Enter the gateway address of the supplementary network device in the Router Address text box. This is the gateway address of the secondary subnet. 9. Enter the Subnet Mask address in the text box. This is the router mask of the secondary subnet. 10. Select the Auto Firewall Open check box to disable the firewall for all devices using addresses from this subnet. 11. Clear the Routing check box to ensure that the gateway does not assign IP addresses to LAN devices through DHCP . 12. Click Save. The bridge mode is enabled on the gateway, and LAN devices are configured to take the Broadband IP address. The service LED on the front panel of the device remains off when the gateway is in bridge mode. The supplementary network represented by the router is tailed to the gateway. Again, my apologies if this is elsewhere, despite my searching I've been unable to locate satisfactory answers. Thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Ignore the 2Wire's manual. That applies to the stock 2Wire firmware, which is not provided. AT&T's firmware is different and does not have the options that are detailed in the 2Wire's manual.

All other terms you cited are equivalent. The functionality of any AT&T gateway can be configured to allow your own router to function with the outside IP address. On the 2Wire gateways, it's called "DMZPlus". On the Motorola NVG510 gateway, it's called "passthrough".

Follow the steps in post 2 of this thread to configure this setup for 2Wire gateways. There is another thread somewhere on the forum (do a search) where someone has posted the equivalent steps for the NVG510 gateway.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

I put the powerline adapters back in play. They are the 200mbps jobbers. The throughput isn't great (on the best outlet combo I've found I get 3.75MB/sec) but seems to be good enough for HD playback. It also seems like sometimes I need to unplug them and plug them back in which is fairly annoying but maybe its just the price I have to pay and they will 'settle down' once I ahve everything going.

This weekend I plan to revert my setup back to RG -> DD-WRT -> pfsense. Think I may have overreacted when I swapped everything back last Sunday night after streaming was crawling. 

That being said, I will need to replace one of the switches so I am going to look for a 16port one that supports VLans

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Try the Dell PowerConnect 2816:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bccwfk1&model_id=powerconnect-2816&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Also check out the Netgear GS108T (only 8 port, but a bargain):

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-GS108T-NAS-Prosafe-8-Port-Gigabit/dp/B003KP8VSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343161052&sr=1-1&keywords=GS108T

You can also look at the Netgear GS716T-200 (16 port, less expensive than the Dell switch), but I have not used this switch so I don't know if there are any firmware bugs in it:

http://www.amazon.com/GS716T-200-ProSafe%C2%AE-16-port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B00358PJ28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343160886&sr=8-1&keywords=GS716T-200

Do NOT under any circumstances try to use the Netgear GS1xxE switches -- they have several firmware bugs that prevent VLANs from working correctly.

Mentor

• 

44 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Followed post #2; since the LInksys e4200 router was preprogrammed with IP address of 192.168.1.1, I had to change the RG IP address.  Once I got them of the same network it worked.  Partially.  I am able to access the internet on all my devices connect via wired or wireless to the router (or the gateway for that matter). 

Issue I've noticed is the following:  all of the devices in my house, which I was able to connect to previously, are no longer accessible.  For example, I have 2 dlink cameras, media server, receiver, blu ray, all with fixed ip addresses that were previously accessible via port forwarding through the router.  The cameras are live in the sense that the light on the front indicates that they are on the wireless network (home network, SSID name, not the 2Wire network).  However, when I interrogate the router for all connected devices, none of them show.  I have powered them on and off and have refreshed the router.  What is most interesting is that if I type in the external ip address to the RG (I have verified by ipconfig that it is the external address my router has as well) xx.xxx.x.x: port number to the camera, I can access the cameras.  Yet, while connected on my intranet if I type 192.168.1.1: port number, I am unable to access the camera.  If I enter 192.168.1.x for the particular camera, I am unable to connect.  This problem is further compounded by the fact that mydlink.com which was typically able to access the cameras is unable to do so. 

As an aside, I have also verified that mydomainname.com (via tzo dns server) has the correct ip address - i.e. the router is able to connect with tzo.

Suggestions?

Next question relates to using the HD boxes from Uverse to access my server.  I assume to get from the gateway to the server I need to point to the external domain name first.  Correct?

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.