Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Awesome!  Of course, there is still an issue.  I can't figure a way to make my router's static IP outside of the DHCP range.  On the RG, it's a pop up menu that won't give choices outside the DHCP range.  Any help?

When I get that set, I can manually program my dir 857 to a different LAN static IP.  Then I can disconnect the 857's wan/internet port and plug the RG into a lan/lan connection.

Am I making sense?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

You do not need to set the static IP for the DIR-857 through the 2Wire RG's menus. Just set it on the DIR-857 yourself. The 2Wire RG will eventually realize that the DIR-857 is using a static IP.

I believe the default DHCP range for the 2Wire is 192.168.1.64 through 192.168.1.254. Set the DIR-857 outside this range. (For example: use 192.168.1.10).

Remember that you're setting the LAN address of the DIR-857 to this IP address, not the WAN address. The WAN in this case is not used.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Done, all is running correctly.  No real change from before unfortunately!  The 3TB WD drive will not show up in the DLink program Shareport Plus or from within the DLink IP Interface.  I really thought the subnet trick would work.  Do you happen to know any suggestions for having a networked hard drive?  Via Win7?

Seriously, great advice.  I read a lot of forums.  Your advice and clarity is the best I have seen Some Joe7777.  Nicely done.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

You should be able to get the NAS to show up -- check the configuration of the NAS carefully (or reset it to factory defaults), and assign it a static IP address as well (use 192.168.1.20).

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

It's technically not NAS.  It's a USB 3.0 external.  The DIR 857 has USB 3.0, but it won't recognize this drive.

Bummin'

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Oh, I see. The DIR-857 has a feature where you can just plug in a USB drive and it becomes a file server for that drive.

In this case, I'm 99% sure the problem is that the drive is 3TB. Drives exceeding 2TB must use a GPT partition table or otherwise have to have some type of sector remapping mechanism within the drive controller in order to be used. I almost guarantee that the DIR-857 does not have this capability, so it's not able to use the drive.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

OK thanks.  So disappointing.  I fell for their advertising.  "any USB device"  I should have known better.

Thanks for your help!  I posted your message on the DIR 857 support page I have been posting on.

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=48434.0

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

First off props for all the support/info you've provided for this thread. I'm going to ask a question I think I already know the answer to but I'm hoping I will be surprised.

My current set up is just the 2wire RG. Since I live in an apartment and I cannot run Ethernet in the walls and my S/O finds it unacceptable to have Ethernet running across the apartment, I am using the two set top boxes as bridges (I have switches that filter out the IGMP multicast connected to the Ethernet ports of the set top boxes and have devices connected to those switches. This actually works pretty well.)  I'm wanting to use a router running DD-WRT to do all my work and turn my RG into a simple modem like in post #2.

Heres the deal though: I want to use the DD-WRT router to hand out DHCP and I need the DD-WRT router because I need to be able to add static routes to another router (pfsense that is infront of my lab network) Is this possible? If I do like in post #2, my RG is running 192.168.1.x and my DD-WRT router would be on 192.168.2.x however since all devices are using set top boxes as bridges, I don't see any way to get them on the 192.168.2.x network and off of 192.168.1.x and I still cant do static routes with the limitation of the 2wire RG. I'm thinking what I will basically need to do is

-keep RG IP as 192.168.1.254 and do the information as outlined in post #2

-set DD-WRT router IP as 192.168.1.1

-disable DHCP on the RG (I don't think this is possible. Hope I am wrong)
-enable DHCP on the DD-WRT

What does everyone think?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

You cannot disable DHCP on the RG, because the STBs require it.

Your two switches that you have hanging off the STB Ethernet ports -- what make/model are they? If they're smart switches that support VLANs, we might be able to make this work.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

They are simple NETGEAR GS108's so I am pretty sure they don't. What I think I will end up doing is ordering powerline ethernet adapters and do post #2. RG -> DD-WRT -> Powerline adapters that I will connect the switches that are currently hanging off the STBs currently.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.