Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@psmd44 wrote:

Thanks for your help on this.   I did do a factory restart before all this, but I will try again and start from scratch with another reset.   Do you still suggest I still follow the steps in post #13 of this thread?

Yes, post 13 is good.

When you say everything went down when you connected to the WRT120N, do you mean the gateway rebooted, or you just lost your internet connection? Did you have to disconnect your device from the WRT before things would come back?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Cable/Internet/Phone are all run through the RG.   All of those crashed.   I had to disconnect and do a power cycle on the RG.    Initially when the WRT was plugged in to the cable box it recognized it as a device but then as soon as i tried to wirelessly connect from an Ipad, that crashed the system.    So the act of trying to get on the "Linksys" network was what caused everything to crash.  

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

Do you have a laptop or something you can hardwire into the WRT to see if a wired connection to the WRT also crashes the RG?

Have you tried to plug the WRT directly into the RG to see if it crashes the RG when trying to connect?

I know people have used the ethernet connector on a COAX-fed STB to connect other devices successfully in the past, maybe there's been a firmware upgrade to the STB or RG that has changed that capability.

Have you tried a different CAT5 cable to connect the WRT?

It should work.Smiley Frustrated

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

I actually have a net-enabled stereo receiver running through a hard-wired connection to one of my STB's and that works perfectly so I know that is not the issue.   The system also crashed when I hard wired the WRT to the RG.   This was a week ago or so.    But it doesnt do this every time.   It really seems to me like some kind of conflict between the wireless on the WRT and the wireless of the RG.   I will start from sctratch later this evening and see if I can get different results.   I appreciate your help on this.   Will keep you posted.  

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

12 years ago

A suggestion:

Can we get replies #2 and #13 copied out into a new thread which is then locked and stickied?  This is extremely valuable information and it's kind of hidden where it is.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@psmd44 wrote:

I actually have a net-enabled stereo receiver running through a hard-wired connection to one of my STB's and that works perfectly so I know that is not the issue.   The system also crashed when I hard wired the WRT to the RG.   This was a week ago or so.    But it doesnt do this every time.   It really seems to me like some kind of conflict between the wireless on the WRT and the wireless of the RG.   I will start from sctratch later this evening and see if I can get different results.   I appreciate your help on this.   Will keep you posted.  

So it only happens when you try to connect to the WRT wirelessly and not wired?

Have you turned off the wireless on the RG?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

A suggestion:

Can we get replies #2 and #13 copied out into a new thread which is then locked and stickied?  This is extremely valuable information and it's kind of hidden where it is.

Good point Jeffer, they should stickey this and the one for wireless interference on the front page.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

A suggestion:

Hey Jeffer,

I was kind of thinking about that myself.  I was going to rewrite them into a guide because they kind of need to be tied together.  Which post a person would follow is dependent on whether they want an access point or a full router-behind-router.  Also, there is one thing that was left out of post #2, which is to change the LAN IP range to be something different than the RG's range, so I was going to add that.

Maybe this weekend or next week I can rewrite these as a unified guide, and the mods can lock/sticky that.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

No because that defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do.   I want to use the RG as the wireless hub for the main floor of the house and the WRT as an extension of that to get a stronger wireless signal in an upstairs bedroom.   Turning off the wireless on the RG in order to get the WRT to work would leave me back where I started -- with one wireless router situated on the main floor.  

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@psmd44 wrote:

@Computer-Joe wrote:

No because that defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do.   I want to use the RG as the wireless hub for the main floor of the house and the WRT as an extension of that to get a stronger wireless signal in an upstairs bedroom.   Turning off the wireless on the RG in order to get the WRT to work would leave me back where I started -- with one wireless router situated on the main floor.  

Well, as I mentioned earlier, you may find that the WRT upstairs will cover your home wirelessly well enough without the RG's wireless even being needed, as well as it being a troubleshooting step to see if we can pinpoint whether the problem is do to the load over the wired connection through the STB or some  kind of conflict between the radios.

Did you try a wired connection to the WRT yet to see if that also crashes the RG.?

Did you turn off NAT in the WRT?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.