Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the help SomeJoe and ComputerJoe. Got my printer to work.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Followed instructions in post #2 and everything working great but I have a puzzling little setback with an HP wireless printer.... 1. Printer was originally configured to use static IP of 192.168.1.80 with RG. 2. Set up Netgear WPN824N per instructions. It was assigned a public IP. Made that IP address static in configuration. 3. Cleared printer static IP settings via its control panel. 4. Printer found new network. Set up new static IP settings 10.0.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.0.0.1 from printer control panel. 5. Set printer IP 10.0.0.10 as static in Netgear configuration. 6. Printer seen by all devices on on Netgear subnet. Prints, scans, copies, etc. correctly from all devices on Netgear subnet. BUT Netgear router configuration shows printer with correct MAC address, name, and an IP address of 192.168.1.80 I have repeatedly rebooted RG, Netgear router, and printer. Triple-checked printer configuration static IP settings. What have I missed ? Thanks in advance !

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

In all likelihood that is just an anomaly of the NetGear router software. If everything is working, don't worry about it.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

I have my 2wire router on the first floor of my home and run all my network needs through that, wireless included.   My bedroom is on the second floor of the house and cannot get a strong wireless signal from the 2Wire.    I need the signal to run IPhones, and an Ipad at a decent speed (3G is weak in my house as well).    What I have been trying to do is set up my old Linksys WRT120N router as an access point (i think that is the correct term --- basically just want it to boost the wireless signal in my bedroom) by plugging it directly into the cable box in my bedroom which is already connected via coax.   

I've tried following the steps in post 13 and am able to see the router as "linksys" through all my apple devices, but i am not able to connect with those devices.   They just spit me back to the weak 2Wire signal.  

Am I even following the right thread if i want to use my Linksys router as a signal booster by connecting it straight to the cable box ethernet port?  I figure the ports on the cable boxes carry the same function as the ports on the router.  If not, is it even possible to do this with a router (DHCP turned off) or do i have to purchase some other device?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@psmd44 wrote:

I have my 2wire router on the first floor of my home and run all my network needs through that, wireless included.   My bedroom is on the second floor of the house and cannot get a strong wireless signal from the 2Wire.    I need the signal to run IPhones, and an Ipad at a decent speed (3G is weak in my house as well).    What I have been trying to do is set up my old Linksys WRT120N router as an access point (i think that is the correct term --- basically just want it to boost the wireless signal in my bedroom) by plugging it directly into the cable box in my bedroom which is already connected via coax.   

I've tried following the steps in post 13 and am able to see the router as "linksys" through all my apple devices, but i am not able to connect with those devices.   They just spit me back to the weak 2Wire signal.  

Am I even following the right thread if i want to use my Linksys router as a signal booster by connecting it straight to the cable box ethernet port?  I figure the ports on the cable boxes carry the same function as the ports on the router.  If not, is it even possible to do this with a router (DHCP turned off) or do i have to purchase some other device?

If you only want to use it for an access point only make sure the ethernet cable from the STB (cable box) is plugged into a LAN/Network jack on your Linksys and not the WAN/Internet jack. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

@Computer-Joe wrote:

If you only want to use it for an access point only make sure the ethernet cable from the STB (cable box) is plugged into a LAN/Network jack on your Linksys and not the WAN/Internet jack. 

The cords are connected correctly.  

DHCP Server is disabled on the Linksys, and the local IP address is 192.168.1.10.  The Iphone/Ipad see both the 2Wire network and the Linksys network.   I am even on the right track here?? I mean, will using a seperate router as an access point (in this case, my Linksys) mean that in order to get the stronger signal upstairs I will have to switch back and forth between the 2? 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@psmd44 wrote:

@Computer-Joe wrote:

The cords are connected correctly.  

DHCP Server is disabled on the Linksys, and the local IP address is 192.168.1.10.  The Iphone/Ipad see both the 2Wire network and the Linksys network.   I am even on the right track here?? I mean, will using a seperate router as an access point (in this case, my Linksys) mean that in order to get the stronger signal upstairs I will have to switch back and forth between the 2? 

You say that your device can connect to the Linksys, but that it will disconnect and reconnect to the 2Wire. What might be happening is that your device can see both networks, but if the 2Wire is the "preferred" network, it will switch to that one even if another stronger signal is available. Switch your "preferred" network to the Linksys and see if that will keep it connected to the correct router. You may even find that your linksys provides a sufficient signal downstairs as well and you can turn off the wireless in the 2Wire altogether.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Ok, so that was part of the issue.   But as I switched network priority and attempted to connect to the Linksys, the whole system shutdown.   Cable, Phone, Wireless, and Internet.    I had to restart the RG.   A few weeks ago before i found this thread I attempted to turn my router into an access point on my own and had the same result.  It shut down the whole system.   Have you ever seen a setup like the one I am trying to acheive operate successfully? 

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@psmd44 wrote:

Ok, so that was part of the issue.   But as I switched network priority and attempted to connect to the Linksys, the whole system shutdown.   Cable, Phone, Wireless, and Internet.    I had to restart the RG.   A few weeks ago before i found this thread I attempted to turn my router into an access point on my own and had the same result.  It shut down the whole system.   Have you ever seen a setup like the one I am trying to acheive operate successfully? 

Just a quick thought, did you do a factory reset on the linksys before you started this?

One thing I think you missed is turning off NAT and you may or may not have to disable dynamic routing after turning off NAT.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for your help on this.   I did do a factory restart before all this, but I will try again and start from scratch with another reset.   Do you still suggest I still follow the steps in post #13 of this thread?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.