Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Ran into a problem. So I have my linksys router connected behind the RG using the settings that SomeJoe mentioned. Everything is working great but my Brother Wireless Printer doesn't show up on my computer. I manually configured the printer to connect to the Linksys router, which it did, but it doesn't show up on my computer when I do a search through the network. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

If you previously had this printer set up under another provider, it's likely that the IP address is in a different range. Run the manufacturer's software for the printer to set it up again, and give the printer an IP address within your Linksys router's range.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@Littyboy wrote:

Ran into a problem. So I have my linksys router connected behind the RG using the settings that SomeJoe mentioned. Everything is working great but my Brother Wireless Printer doesn't show up on my computer. I manually configured the printer to connect to the Linksys router, which it did, but it doesn't show up on my computer when I do a search through the network. Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

If you know the IP address of the printer, you should be able to go into the properties for the printer on your computer and just modify the IP address of the printer port that the Brother setup software originally installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Your steps worked great.  Now I only have 1 issue with my set up.  I have a few home network camera by Panasonic.  They used to be accessible inside and on the Internet.  After the change, I can't log in over the internet.  When I check the network camera setup, I found one issue under the section "UPnP".  The status was "Failed to detect IGD".  What is going on?

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@damianng wrote:

Your steps worked great.  Now I only have 1 issue with my set up.  I have a few home network camera by Panasonic.  They used to be accessible inside and on the Internet.  After the change, I can't log in over the internet.  When I check the network camera setup, I found one issue under the section "UPnP".  The status was "Failed to detect IGD".  What is going on?

Failed to detect Internet Gateway Device. Seems like the RG is not responding to the UPnP requests from the cameras. Could be all the cameras are requesting the same port? Maybe the RG has UPnP disabled? Might have to manually configure the cameras for different ports and set specific rules in the RG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I configured each cameras with a static IP address, UPnP enabled, etc.  It used to work before I switched to AT&T DSL and had to configure my wireless router (Linksys) behind the 2Wire router supplied by AT&T.  I had to change the IP of the Linksys router to a 192.168.2.1 instead of the original 192.168.1.1, and updated all the camera's statis IP to 192.168.2.x, each with a different port.  I have the Linksys router 192.168.2.1 as the default gateway.  Does this issue has to do with the gateway as now the Linksys is sitting behind the 2Wire?  BTW, the 2Wire is now just an internet gateway.  The Linksys got the IP from 2Wire via DHCP. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Did you verify that your Linksys is set up as the DMZ device? Look at the Status page of the Linksys and verify that the outside (WAN) IP address is a public IP address (i.e. not 192.168.x.x).

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Just checked.  Yes, I got a public IP address.

------------------

Something changed ....  One of the cameras I changed the DNS to the IP address of the 2Wire modem.  It worked!  I changed the rest of them and they all worked now ...  The question is: I changed that IP address last time at around midnight.  How come it took so long to work?  (I checked this morning at 8:00am but it wasn't working at that time).  And the second question is: is this going to conitnue working or is it going to be an intermittent thing?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Hello Joe

I’ve had a 3800 and later a 3801 working in “bridge mode” since I got Uverse a while back.   The original installer was kind and curious enough to help me set it up that way even with the TV profile I had then.

I just checked your post #2 and see some recommendations on unchecking the 7 Attack Detection options and Stealth Mode and Block Ping.

I’ve never made those changes.  What wrong with 2 layers of security with the RG and then the Router firewall?  What downsides are there to my set-up?  I have a web cam and that works just fine remotely. 

Other than the occasional test why would I want to ping or take the RG out of stealth mode?

Thanks  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Those changes are specifically there to make the RG as transparent as possible while in DMZ mode.  Most people who set up router-behind-router want the RG to be as close to a bridge as possible, without any routing or firewall interference.

If you want to leave some of these checkboxes checked, you can.  Just be aware that if you run into an issue with a particular application, it could potentially be due to one of these settings.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.