Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Ahhhh.....so when I select the router mode from DHCP to DHCP and NAT and it defaults to the 10.0.1.2 to 200 (away from the 192.168 xxx then that is for the Guest Network only and leaves our home network on the 192.168 xxx

Then all Ihave to do is enabel the Guest Network box and assign a name and password?

I mistakenly though that by going with the router mode of DHCP and NAT... with the default 10.0.1 xxx then that would change or conflict with all the settings already established .....192.168 xxxx

Getting closer 

Thanks again Joe

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Well....That didn't work. After selecting the DHCP and NAT with the default settings of 10.1.2 to 10 and updating I now have a "Double Nat error"

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Well SomeJoe, Kept getting invalid DHCP ranges no matter what I did trying to get the NAT and the Guest Network to function. Couldn't even get back into the 2Wire configuration page at 192.178.1.254 and amber lights all over the place. figured I would start oover from scratch.  Powered everything down even disconnected the power.  Started back up ..still no connections.  I started at the begining of your instructions #2 since my router was originally set in Bridge Mode.

Changed the Internet "Connection Using" and set that at DHCP as opposed to Static.

Set the "Network Tab Router Mode" to DHCP and Nat (which I was having trouble with)

Updated .....and waited with fingers crossed.

Everything started and with all green lights and connections BUT all the IP addresses and DHCP ranges changed also.

Here's what it is now..but functioning...different but functioning.

Internet

Connect Using DHCP

IP Address: 108.226.96.199 (of my router)

Router Address: 108.226.96.1  (2Wire)

Primary DNS Server 192.168.1.254 (same as the 2Wire IP before but was also listed as the DNS)

Network

Router Mode: DHCP and NAT

DHCP Range 10.0.1.2 to 200

Guest DHCP Range: 172.16.42.2 to 200

Nat Port Maping Protocol Enabled

Is there anything odd or dangerous in all the IP addresses and assignments changing?  what happened to all the 192.168.25X assignments?

Anyway, all is functioning correctly (I think) and my router is routing and wireless working.  As long as there is no gaping holes that I'm not aware of then maybe just leave alone or is a complete 2Wire Factory Re-Set in order?  If I mess up the U-

Verse TV stuff the House Captn will be on me like white on rice :)......LOL

Thanks much for the help SomeJoe.  This stuff never goes easy for me but that is how I learn a few things along the way.

Bill

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Dose this work with my Linksys E3200 because my MB has a gigabit port and I want to use the extra speed I think I did everything here but it seems like my net gets kinda slow at times some of the options bellow wasn't in my setup for my router like in the fire wall section their wasn't any thing to allow the DHCP renewal packets all I have is IP6 IP4 inable or disable and some filters for pinging and java but nothing to allow the DHCP packets

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

bgoodz,

Those settings look correct. The 192.168.1.x addresses will be used only for any devices that connect to the RG directly, like TV set-top-boxes.

Your computers will get addresses in the 10.0.1.x range, and your wireless guests will get IP addresses in the 172.16.42.x range.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

TheNerd,

Yes, this will work with the Linksys E3200. Even though your computer has Gigabit, that will not increase your Internet speeds. Internet speeds are limited by what Internet speed package you've purchased, as well as network conditions.

Run some speed tests at www.speedtest.net to see what you're getting.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Good to hear that and thanks much for all your assistance and technical knowledge, It is much appreciated.

And that explains that I wasn't getting it right the first go around as the DHCP ranges for my network were reporting in the 192.168 range and sheds some light on why the system was trying to default to the 10.0.1 range.  I think the mess and confusion stated because I had the 2wire up and running and was the boss and my router was in bridge.  Then I put the 2wire in bridge (so to speak) and took my off of bridge mode.  I remember the IP assigned to my router by the 2wire initially was 192.168.1.27x and I was off to the races......

Sall good now, functioning and stable.

Bgoodz

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

I always get between 15-17mb down and 1.5 up I wa stold it will help with uploads and down loads that is why I was wanting to use it

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

And I did notice evrything opening and loading a bit faster

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Okay, I just got U-Verse yesterday and I read how to setup my router behind the RG. I have a very customized network and I run a server and that's why I want to use my wireless router. My router is a Linksys e2500 and I set it to DHCP. I put it into DMZ+ on the RG (a i38HG) and ti works great..... for a few hours. After a few hours I can only connect to the internet or RG if I plug my computer into the RG. The rotuter seems to not get a new address for the RG and I have to reboot the router in order to reconnect. How do I fix this? The RG is setup on 10.0.0.1 and the rotuer is 192.168.0.1

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.