Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Once you have the Linksys set to DHCP, hook up a computer behind it and access the Internet. This will establish communication from the Linksys through the RG and to the Internet.

After that, if you log back into the RG, you should now see the Linksys in the device list.

Make sure that the LAN IP addresses of the Linksys aren't the same as the LAN IP addresses of the 2Wire RG. The 2Wire RG uses 192.168.1.x by default, so make sure the LAN IPs of the Linksys are set to something else, like 192.168.2.x.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks SomeJoe!

I got it working now.

I was curious. What does steps #10-13 for? Sorry I'm not savvy at this.

I'm just looking to use the wireless off the linksys router instead of the RG, basically just make the RG act like a modem only.

Non-business if that matters?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

@Littyboy wrote:

Thanks SomeJoe!

I got it working now.

I was curious. What does steps #10-13 for? Sorry I'm not savvy at this.

I'm just looking to use the wireless off the linksys router instead of the RG, basically just make the RG act like a modem only.

Non-business if that matters?

Steps 10-13 remove as much as possible any interference by the RG's firewall.  If you want the RG to behave as close to a modem as possible, those steps need to be taken.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Steps 10-13 remove as much as possible any interference by the RG's firewall.  If you want the RG to behave as close to a modem as possible, those steps need to be taken.

Hello SomeJoe,

I understand the concept of making the RG do as little router-related duty as possible in this "pseudo-bridge" mode.  But will anything bad happen if we leave these options on?  They do continue to protect the IPTV network and the STBs there, no? (assuming that we continue to have the STBs connected directly to the RG...)

Thanks...

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

You can leave them at the defaults if you like. Just be aware that some of those settings may interfere with certain protocols, so if you have a VPN or something similar that doesn't work, you might try turning these settings off to see if that's the problem.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

@NickNaylor wrote:
Thanks for the idea and that's exactly what I did in the beginning and it worked fine. Two windows pc's, three iPhones. But with three younger boys and visiting friends and relatives whom I allow on the LAN,I wanted to minimize any circumvention so my router hands out OpenDNS. It's too bad. For its sheer size Att should provide a simple feature like this.

What are you thoughts on DD-WRT? I am contemplating flashing my four Linksys WRT54G's to it. (one router and three WAPs).

I use DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54GL router. Make SURE that you follow these specific directions for this setup (as already stated above):

http://www.comprepairgurus.com/att-u-verse2wire-gateway-and-dd-wrt-router-in-dmz-mode/

Not only does OpenDNS work flawlessly, but you can set the times that each MAC address can access the network. My kids' internet goes dead every evening at 10pm, and it's off the rest of the night. DD-WRT makes this very simple to do.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Hello,  I've been reading this forum for the last couple days and first of all would like to thank SomeJoe for his helpful assistance and patience explaining router setups and setting configurations.  As I'm sure that all here would attest to.

I'm just looking for some confirmation but will explaing my situation first.

Current have a relatively new additon to our home network.  AT&T 2Wire 3801HGV Router providing U-Verse TV via Cisco Wireless Transmitter and two Wireless Receivers (for two additional TV's) and HighSpeed Internet access. (had AT&T DSL prior and charter cable TV)

Already had and still have a wireless router hard wired to two imacs, one Macbook and wilreless to iphone and iPad. Both imacs and laptop can also funtion wirelessly if need be.  

Hook up is now: my router WAN port to LAN port on 2Wire.  All hardwired conections are from my router.  I have turned off the wireless on the 2Wire and let my Apple router be the boss on the wireless as it is 802.11n both 2.4 & 5gz dual band. All seems to be working ok.  

I would like to have my Apple router be the routing boss as it was before the 2Wire U-Verse addition and just let the 2Wire function for the TV (wireless) and High Speed Internet.  From what I've read and remember, I think I should follow your instrutions in posting #2 correct?

Right now I have my router set in Bridge Mode for routing but have the wireless doing the wireless directing to all the periphals other than the U-verse TV receivers. 

OR....just leave everything alone as it's functioning 🙂  My desire and attempts is to simpify and segment the functions instead of this for that, and that for this ect.  

My desired outcome would be the 2Wire for the TV stuff and a passthrough for the Internet connection which would result in our home network router doing all the computer realted items as before.

Thanks for any input or advice, sorry this was alot of explanations but I wanted to provide the whole picture.

Bill

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, if you want the 2Wire to function (as much as possible) as a bridge and have your router do all routing functions, follow the directions in post #2.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

Hi Joe,

Followed alll the instructions and now have everything working with the exception of the following issue.

2Wire Router 192.168.1.254 (All firewall settings modified)

My Router 192.168.1.253 (now it static mode)
My Router Network Tab"  DHCP Only  DHCP Range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.200

When I select DHCP and NAT setting so I can enable NAT and have the option to making a Guest Network for Wireless Acccess)  the  DHCP ranges defaults to 10.0.1.xxx to 200.  When I change that back to 192.168.1.2 to 200 I get an error Invalid window that says : The DHCP range you have entered conflicts with the WAN IP address of your base station and thissame message no matter what values I enter.

Any thoughs?  I would like to have NAT enables and have the option to have a wireless Guset Network available.

It took awhile to get this far and when I took my router out of the bridge mode I had a bunch of amber lights and conflicts going on.

Bill

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

For the guest network you need to leave the DHCP range for it at the default of 10.0.1.x. That puts the guests on a separate network from your computers which is what you want.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.