Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

The router is a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT v24-sp2 installed.

It did let me enter the WAN address, and I changed the "from" to 67, and the "to" remains 68.

But that didn't change the Outlook behavior, unfortunately. Still disconnecting every 10 minutes.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

OK, with DD-WRT, there is a specific command you need to enter.

See the following link:

http://www.comprepairgurus.com/att-u-verse2wire-gateway-and-dd-wrt-router-in-dmz-mode/

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you SO MUCH for that info! I REALLY appreciate your help!

Have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

12 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Hi, I am trying to determine the best way to solve my Uverse wifi woes. Every day or two, I need to reset my 3801 RG because 1 or more of my many wireless devices lose connectivity. I have done a lot of research, and the consensus is that the problems may be solved if I use an external wireless router. I have called tech support several times, have had 2 tech visits, and am on my 3rd RG. I would appreciate input as to which method I should choose for wiring, the one in post #2 or post #13. I have the following items on the network: Wired: 3 set top boxes 1 desktop pc, main 1 popcorn hour/ps3, I swap the cable 1 HP media smart server for video I am using a linksys switch to obtain the extra wired access Wireless: 3 laptops 3 iPhones 1 iPad 1 iPod 1 popcorn hour 1 wii 1 pc What I would LOVE: 3 cable boxes to be run off the RG, everything else run off the new router, both wired and wireless. My thought process is maybe my network speed would improve if I ran everything through the new router and let the RG deal with TV and the Internet access. I would use the ports on the RG for the 3boxes and the link to the new router, and use 3 ports on the new router for my 3 wired items and all the wireless ones. Thoughts?? What I would settle for: All wireless handled by the new wireless router. I do not have the router yet. Some of the options are: Belkin N150, Belkin N300, Netgear N300, basically anything I can get at BBuy or Tiger. Thanks to you all for the wealth of info on this site, especially Somejoe7777, I have learned a lot, now I just need the final few pieces of information. Thanks again, Febtober

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Febtober,

Since all you really need to do is get wireless working correctly, there is no need to actually do router-behind-router.as in post #2.

I would purchase an 802.11n router, and set it up as in post #13, and turn off the wireless in the 2Wire RG.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Great, thanks for the quick response and good info. That's the direction I will take, so at least I can get reliable wifi. Thanks again, Febtober

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

I've got a similar situation to Febtober's setup with a couple little quirks and could use your input SomeJoe on which directions I should follow (#2 or #13).

Like just about everyone else, I want to use my own Linksys wireless router to take advantage of the N-wireless speeds. Before the switch to ATT, we connected a desktop, 2 laptops, printer, xbox/wii wirelessly and a drobo NAS via wire. Nothing really comes to mind that I'd need to connect to the ATT device. All that said, which directions would you recommend I follow. Will I have any trouble accessing data off the NAS if everything is connected to my router?

Thanks for the help on here. Seems like your the only person out there with clear understanding of this mess...

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yep, post #13 should do nicely for you. Plug your NAS into one of the LAN ports on your router.

In general, the only reasons you might need to use post #2 instead of post #13:

• You want to control ports on your firewall using your router rather than the 2Wire.
• You have a device or application that needs UPnP (like some gaming systems)
• You need parental controls, QOS, or VPN functions that only your router can do.

If all you want is more reliable wireless, or 802.11n (faster) wireless, you don't need post #2, you only need post #13.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

perfect! thanks again. hopefully it goes as planned...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.