Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

If your IP address happens to change, then yes, it will break your connectivity and you'll have to reconfigure the NetGear.

However, it is known that on the U-Verse system, IP addresses normally do not ever change, unless the 2Wire RG is replaced or (sometimes) if it's factory reset.

I have been running a web server at home on a U-Verse IP address for over a year, and the IP address has not changed.

You can indeed purchace a block of 5 static IP addresses if you want, but those have to be assigned by the 2Wire.  The 2Wire also has no facility to insert a static route, so you can't use those static IP addresses behind your router -- you can only use one of them on your NetGear's WAN interface.  The other 4 would go unused.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

SomeJoe:

Is this the easiest way to set my router up behind the RG? I want to have as many functions as I can from my Router which is the Asus RT-N56U

Thanks

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, follow the directions in message 2 of this thread.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

Hi Joe, I am thinking you can help with my issue. Here is what I've got:

Uverse 2Wire 3800HGV-B

Netgear WNDR3400 (brand new!)

LG N2A2DD2 NAS (fairly new!)

My Netgear was just hooked up the other day and seemed to realize what was going on and automatically assigned itself a new sub net (10.0.0.1). The 2Wire is still 192.168.1.254. Everything seemed to work just fine....networked all my computers, printers and have access to my LG within the network. 

Now one of the reasons I put the new router behind the 2Wire was to get access to the LG from outside the network. The LG has software that helps to set it up but it is telling me that I need to setup port forwarding on my router. I tried this when I had the 2Wire only but couldn't get it to work since 2Wire doesn't support UPnp. So, I bought this new router, set up port forwarding for all the ports that LG says I need open, and it still fails to connect on all three test items: Web (HTTP, HTTPS), FTP Port, & Media Server. I followed all your instructions on Post #2 as well and rebooted the Netgear multiple times and still cannot get it to pass.

I want to first make sure I've got everything setup correctly on the 2Wire and Netgear before contacting LG about how to get this to work and thought you might be able to help. Thanks!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

The directions I posted will get you to the point where the Netgear router is the DMZ device, and is routing for your entire network.

After that, you need to plug the LG NAS into the LAN side of the NetGear router and then configure it. That part I can't help you too much with, because I own neither of those units. However, if the NetGear is UPnP compliant, the LG should be able to tell the NetGear to open the proper ports on it's firewall. You will have to look at the LG and NetGear manuals to determine how to configure this and how to verify that it's working.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

I'm running the 3800HGV-B  with a Netgear WNDR3700v2 router and followed all the steps in post #2 and my router is not getting the public IP. It keeps getting it from the RG of 192.168.x.x and the private network is getting 10.0.0.x. I rebooted both devices one at a time and still not getting the publis IP on the Netgear.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi Joe,

Great post and feedback. I have read through all of your instructions however I am still a bit 'fuzzy' as to which configuration will suit me best.

I want to use my ASUS RT-N56U for everything, not just an access point. I want to turn 'wireless off' the RG and only use the RG for TV and my internet feed to my router. So to be even more clear, I want nothing connected to my RG except for the router to receive the internet from it in order to provide it to a single network both LAN and WAN on my router. Does that make sense?

This also includes firewall functions as well. 

Should I follow post 2 and just disable everything on the RG i.e. wireless, lan, wan? Will I still have to have 2 subnets in order for this to work properly?

Your feedback is invaulable. Thank you.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, you'll follow directions in post 2.

Yes, you still need 2 subnets (one for the RG's LAN, e.g. 192.168.1.0/24, and one for your computer's LAN, e.g. 192.168.2.0/24). If you do not have two subnets, you will not be able to reach the RG's web interface from your computers.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:
There are some routers that have issues with the DHCP renewal process from the 2Wire router. To correct this, open a firewall port on your D-Link to accept all inbound traffic from any IP address on UDP port 68.

It appears that I've got one of these routers. Outlook on any computer connected to the LAN is loosing connection to Exchange Server every 10 minutes, resulting in Outlook  freezing for several seconds while the connection is being restored. This never happped with just the 2Wire router.

I've followed the instructions in post #2 to set up my router behind the 2Wire. I set up the port forwarding on my router as follows:

Port Forward settings:
Port from = 68
Port to = 68
Protocol = UDP
IP Address forwarded to = static LAN address (for me 192.168.1.1)

Is this the right way to set this up? It doesn't change the Outlook problems I'm having.

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

The port from should be port 67, the port to is 68.

As far as the IP address, I'm not sure if setting it to the LAN address will work. It really should be set for the WAN address, but that's dynamic, so your firewall may not allow that.

What router is this (manufacturer and model)?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.