Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I assume when you say Linksys in my case you're referring to my NetGear router.  That's the issue here...I CAN'T get into the router settings. Do I need to just link my desktop PC and the router directly, change those settings, then switch the cables back again?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

NealB,

Sorry, yes, I meant NetGear. (There's several different conversations going here with various different routers).

Yes, connect your computer directly to the NetGear on one of the LAN ports, restart your computer to get an IP address in the NetGear's range, then log into it and make the proper changes.

After that, move your computer back to the original network connection.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

Hi,

I am currently working on replacing my Dlink DIR-655 that I was using as a wireless access point instead of using the wireless from the gateway. That was working fine but I just bought a Linksys E4200 to get improved range and dual bands. I have tried to get the E4200 setup in a similar manner as the DIR655 but I can't seem to get it to keep broadcasting a wifi signal. Here are the settings I have set for the E4200:

Capture.PNG

This router is connected to a Netgear switch (GS108) and that switch is connected to another GS105 switch that is then connected to the gateway. This previous setup worked fine with the DIR655 and now I am puzzled as to why this isn't working. I have rebooted the gateway a couple of times but no luck. Do I have to do a hard reset?

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Since the IP address of your router is configured static, and your previous D-Link also had the 192.168.1.10 IP address, the RG has probably cached the MAC address of the previous D-Link router.

Change the IP address of the new Linksys to 192.168.1.11 instead and see if the RG sees that.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Is it connected lan port to lan port, not wan port?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

Yes it is connected lan port to lan port. The IP address for the old DIR655 was 192.168.1.1 so it should not be conflicting. Should I perform a hard reset on the gateway cause I do not see the router on the web interface for the gateway?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

One thing you can try before you factory reset the RG is to go into your new router and see if it has a ping/traceroute/diagnostic utility. If it does, ping the RG at 192.168.1.254.

If it doesn't or that doesn't work, go into the RG's diagnostic menu, it has a ping utility. From there, ping the new router at 192.168.1.10 (or 192.168.1.11, whichever you have it set at).

After the pings complete, wait about 1 minute and then see if the router appears in the RG's devices list.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

13 years ago

I went ahead and did a factory reset. It seemed that at times the router would be broadcasting wifi but it never popped up on the gateway. Things seem to be working fine, just a hassle to have to do a factory reset and make the changes I had previously had. I assume I will have to do this each time I add something new to the network or could there be something up with my gateway?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

You should not need to factory reset to add something to the network. However, having said that, I have seen the 2Wire routers do flaky things sometimes that were only correctable by a factory reset.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

I would guess it was some sort of IP address issue.  You should not need a factory reset just to add another device.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.