Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

It's from one of the LAN ports to the BROADBAND (WAN) port on the back of my netgear router.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

You need to configure the Linksys such that it's LAN IP address is a different subnet than the RG's LAN.

If the RG is using 192.168.1.x on it's LAN, you need to change the Linksys to use something else.

Use the 192.168.2.x subnet. Configure the Linksys LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

SomeJoe7777:  thank you for all your help.... I want to set up a second router for a Window Home Server 2011 machine and remote access. I need UPnP (without it whs2011 is tough!). Would I follow post #2? Will this give me an address on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet for the server? I think without it the network might not find the server. Would I set the dhcp off on the second router and just assign an ip to the server like 192.168.1.78? You seem to know a great deal about this - will ATT ever get UPnP on their routers? if yes I would not even try to do second router. Thanks again...

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you need to follow post #2, and you need to change the LAN IP subnet on your side of your router to something other than 192.168.1.x, as I detailed in the above post.

UPnP is probably not going to make an appearance on the 2Wire routers any time soon.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

thank you so much for your answer. At what step (1-14) do I change the ip address on second router to 192.168.2.1? Do I do it before step one and not allow it to get an address from DHCP? Thanks again.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you can do that at the beginning, before you begin the steps in post #2.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for all your help!!!!  I am making very small baby steps. I set the router network address at 192.168.2.1 but let it get dhcp and dhcp set it to 192.1.64. Now I can not reach the router from the main work group 192.168.1.xxx. I try and turn off dhcp and set the internet address to 192.168.2.1 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 192.168.1.254 and cisco won't let me save it as it has a different subnet for address and gateway. Thanks again.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Cisco? This is the first you've mentioned any Cisco. A Cisco what? Switch? Router? How is this connected in the network?

Why are you turning off DHCP on something (I don't know what)?

There's way to little information here for me to help you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I have a cisco (linksys) e1000 as the second router. I have turned off the dhcp on the e1000 so that it does not give out an address to the WHS2011 server box as I want to set a static IP for that box. The idea is to get a UPnP router for the WHS box to make it far far easier to use to get to it from the outside. I have got it to work but now the router gets a "outside" address that is 99.xxx.xxx.xxx. At that point the WHS box can not be seen on the "real" network 192.168.1.xxx. I need the "real" network to see the WHS box on the new network. Maybe not posible... thanks for your help. Or, I will throw in 10.00 to get ATT to get a router made in this century (UPnP) 🙂 Dave

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@dave1288 wrote:

I have a cisco (linksys) e1000 as the second router. I have turned off the dhcp on the e1000 so that it does not give out an address to the WHS2011 server box as I want to set a static IP for that box. The idea is to get a UPnP router for the WHS box to make it far far easier to use to get to it from the outside. I have got it to work but now the router gets a "outside" address that is 99.xxx.xxx.xxx. At that point the WHS box can not be seen on the "real" network 192.168.1.xxx. I need the "real" network to see the WHS box on the new network. Maybe not posible... thanks for your help.

Those are mutually exclusive, incompatible goals.

We need to step back here because you're jumping into configuration without being clear on what the end goal is.

You have a WHS 2011 server.  You want to "get to it" from the outside.  What does that mean?  What functions to you want to be able to get to from the outside?

Why does the 192.168.1.x network have to reach the WHS?  What's on the 192.168.1.x network?

Why is UPnP important?  What end purpose are you wanting that to serve?

In order to help you, I need to understand what you're trying to accomplish.  It's very unclear to me here what it is you're trying to do.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.