Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for responding.

It seems from my experience today that when having my HyperV server and management workstation connected to the RG segment that the RG's firewalling is interupting RPC port connections between the two so I have deployed my DIR-655 as second router  and am working on identifying if they will speak now while all other software firewalls are disabled.

I've looked at many of your various forum entries regarding various subjects. One subject in particular being the ability to have the DVR/STB's located behind the second router due to Multicast/ IGMP Snooping support. It would seem many have tried this and none have succeeded but let's say I had a switch that supported VLan'ing, trunking, supported IGMP Snooping and the DIR-655 supports Multicast... Theoretically might it be possible to make the STB's/DVR work of off the secondary router!?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The only way that you could get STBs to work behind your own router is if the router supported PIM & IGMP (not IGMP snooping, but the full IGMP protocol). Even then it's likely it wouldn't work since your router probably wouldn't authenticate within AT&T's multicast network. I don't even know if the 2Wire RG would even allow it.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new to AT&T.  Been using TW cable for the longest time.  This thread is great.  I want to thank SomeJoe7777 for the excellent instructions he posted to help us all with getting our gateways into a psuedo-bridging mode. 🙂

However, I do have one issue that I've come across that I cannot seem to overcome.  Once I set the dmzplus pass through, and get the public IP address on my linksys router, I can no longer ping or reach the 2wire modem.  I have the modem connected to the wan port on my linksys, then another copper connection to my work station.  I can ping the lan IP of the linksys, and I can ping the public wan ip of the linksys that it is getting from the modem.  I can even ping the gateway IP of the public AT&T network.  But I cannot ping or reach the 192.168.1.254 address of the gateway anymore.... Unless I hook up another ethernet cable from it to a LAN port on my linksys - which kind of defeats the purpose of doing this.

This is a big deal, because I can no longer resolve DNS names without being able to reach the modem.  I guess I could use google's free dns servers, but they have issues of their own with places like youtube.

Has anyone seen this after following the instructions in this thread? If there is already a post regarding this issue, my apologies. I've been hunting through this thread but have not seen it yet.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

zablalbaz wrote:

However, I do have one issue that I've come across that I cannot seem to overcome.  Once I set the dmzplus pass through, and get the public IP address on my linksys router, I can no longer ping or reach the 2wire modem.  I have the modem connected to the wan port on my linksys, then another copper connection to my work station.  I can ping the lan IP of the linksys, and I can ping the public wan ip of the linksys that it is getting from the modem.  I can even ping the gateway IP of the public AT&T network.  But I cannot ping or reach the 192.168.1.254 address of the gateway anymore.... Unless I hook up another ethernet cable from it to a LAN port on my linksys - which kind of defeats the purpose of doing this.

This is a big deal, because I can no longer resolve DNS names without being able to reach the modem.  I guess I could use google's free dns servers, but they have issues of their own with places like youtube.

Has anyone seen this after following the instructions in this thread? If there is already a post regarding this issue, my apologies. I've been hunting through this thread but have not seen it yet.

1. You must have your router's LAN subnet and the 2Wire's LAN subnet in different ranges in order to reach the 2Wire.  See the following post (post 7 of this thread):

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723229#M307

2. Even if you didn't do this, you don't need the 2Wire for DNS.  Your own router will handle DNS, acting as a DNS resolver.  It will use AT&T's upstream DNS servers as the upstream resolvers, the 2Wire is not involved when in DMZPlus mode.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

-------------------------------------------------------

2. Even if you didn't do this, you don't need the 2Wire for DNS.  Your own router will handle DNS, acting as a DNS resolver.  It will use AT&T's upstream DNS servers as the upstream resolvers, the 2Wire is not involved when in DMZPlus mode.

----------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what I thought should happen as well. But when I check the status on my linksys router I can see that it has not picked up the DNS servers for AT&T. It instead thinks that it should be using the 2wire IP for dns resolution:

******My config************

WAN IP
99.39.212.X

LAN IP

Connection Type
Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Connection Uptime
0:02:33

Gateway

DNS 1

DNS2

DNS1 is my own local caching server and I used to have it set to use 192.168.1.254 as my forwarder.  That setup worked great, and I'd really like to just continue using it if possible. I manually added this IP to the local DNS settings on the router.

DNS2: This is the IP address that the linksys got from the 2wire when I set up the dmz forward.  And the problem with this is that I cannot ping or access the IP address for the 2wire anymore. No ping = no dns resolution. 😞

From reading that link you just posted though I should be able to clear this up if I change the IP range for my own LAN? Once I do that my understanding is that I should be able to ping the 2wire again correct?  And I am guessing that once I can ping it, the DNS resolution will take care of itself.

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Alternately, I guess I could always take the lazy way out for now and go straight to the upstream AT&T dns servers:

Just stuck those in my named.conf and they seem to work. Only problem is those could change and I wouldn't know about it until I started having trouble.  Best if I use this as a bandaid for now and go ahead and reconfigure my LAN IP range I suppose.

BTW: Does AT&T keep IP addresses for things like DNS servers posted somewhere that us customers can get to?  I found these DNS IPs in a forum thread, but it would be nice if I could just bookmark a FAQ url.

Thanks for the help!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you need to change your LAN subnet to 192.168.2.x (as an example).

If you have your own local DNS server, then you'll have to manually enter DNS addresses into the Linksys. To my knowledge, you can't tell the Linksys to use one DNS server address from manual configuration and the other from DHCP. Either they both have to be manually specified or both can come from DHCP.

I would leave the DNS configuration just as you have it -- Linksys configured for 192.168.2.5 and 192.168.1.254, and upstream resolvers in your local caching DNS server as 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1. Those DNS IP addresses have been used by AT&T for U-Verse since 2007 and have not changed.

You could also bypass AT&T's DNS servers altogether and use OpenDNS or GoogleDNS in named.conf.

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220
GoogleDNS: 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

13 years ago

Hey SomeJoe7777,

Thanks for all the advice.  I logged back in to my 2wire and changed the IP address to 192.168.2.254 and now everything works like a charm.  I am directly using the AT&T DNS servers and everything works great with the external name resoltuion as well.

I admit that I tried the google DNS servers when I first started messing around with all this.  But I noticed pretty quickly some lag when I went to places like youtube and watched the streams.  The videos were buffering like mad.  When I switched over to the AT&T dns servers the problem went away.

Once again...thanks for the clear cut instructions and the extra assistance!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Ok so I have everything MOSTLY right here.  I followed the instructions, and I can't seem to get to my router to change any configurations now.

Here's what I have:

The AT&T provided router

NetGear wireless router connected per the instructions in this thread

Wired desktop plugged ino my netgear router

Wireless laptop on the wifi network on my router.

I can see the shared files on both PCs, print over wifi, all that.  What I CAN'T seem to do is log into my router's page to change any settings on it!  If I go to the 192.168.1.254 address I can see that the RG lists my router with an IP address of 192.168.1.66, which from what I have read on here it seems isn't an external IP address, so I assume that's part of the problem? If I try that IP, or 192.168.1.1 (which used to work), it goes nowhere.

I'm pretty novice at all this, so be gentle haha. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

NealB ... how do you have the NetGear router connected to the RG -- through one of the LAN ports (like post #13 in this thread) or through the WAN port (like post #2 in this thread)?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.