Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

13 years ago

How do you get the DMZ on the router to "stick"?

I've foolowed these diections - everything works great but the router eventually "falls" out of the DMZ in a very short time..

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

@Jresner wrote:

How do you get the DMZ on the router to "stick"?

I've foolowed these diections - everything works great but the router eventually "falls" out of the DMZ in a very short time..

Factory reset the RG using the factory reset button on the following page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

(Note that this will erase all settings in the RG, including any firewall setting you have, and you will have to set them up again.)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Hi SomeJoe,

I have been following your posts, I have a question about a setup.  So I have the u-verse 3800 series router and I had wanted to run just a regular router without wireless behind it.  The beginning of this post I am posting to now, I think answered it but if I am asking again, say so. I was looking to get an 800 series to practice on for my CCNA.  I was going to go with a wireless but there would be no point correct if my only objective is to get my device to the internet so I don't conflict with the 2wire so my wife will still have access if I mess up something? Technically it would just be another IP address running on the 194.168.1.x network and still run behind the router of the 2wire.  So would I have to turn off my setting for the firewall and others that might conflict?  Apparently when the house was wired for phones cat-5e was used, so that's fine. I was going to have an ethernet ran from the LAN port in the back of the 2wire to the wall that runs directly to my office, from the wall another ethernet cable to the router LAN?, then on to me via another cable?  I could try to make a visio diagram if it makes it easier to understand.  I just wanted a wired connection to the web, but keep the wifi up on the 2 wire JUST incase I have to redo the cisco router for whatever reason?

Thank you for your time,

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

If all you want to do is learn your Cisco skills on an 800 series, you don't need to do any configuration on the 2Wire.

Just run an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire to your office, like oyu described.  Plug that cable into any Ethernet interface on the Cisco 800.  Then run another Ethernet from a different interface on the Cisco to your computer.  Then you'll need to configure the Cisco to route and use the following features:

- IP routing

- NAT

- DHCP on the 2Wire side

I have an example Cisco configuration earlier in this thread.  Look at the interface that's labeled as the internet interface and see how it's configured for DHCP.  Once you get the Cisco configured properly, it will route with NAT and your wired computer will be able to access the Internet.

This will also allow the 2Wire to continue routing and using wireless that will be unaffected by your configuration changes on the Cisco.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

So, I am up and running "router behind router" with my old network accessing the internet through DMZ on the RG.  Is there anyway to manage the RG from the "DMZ network" that will avoid having to plug a computer directly into the RG?  Looking for a technical solution to facilitate convenience.

I have the RG --->DMZ---> Linksys WRT350N ---> wired and wirelss network 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you can manage the RG even from behind your router using the RG's IP address.

For example, if your network behind your router is 192.168.2.x, and the RG's DHCP network is 192.168.1.x, then you can go to the RG from one of your computers using

http://192.168.1.254

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I SomeJoe. I too have been following this post and I'm running a router behind the RG following your instructions from message 2 of 37. My router is a D-link DIR-615 and usually everyday it losses connection to the internet and I log in to check it's status and it seems it cannot renew the DHCP. At that point I have to unplug both the RG and the D-link router to get my internet to work again. Could you please help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

There are some routers that have issues with the DHCP renewal process from the 2Wire router. To correct this, open a firewall port on your D-Link to accept all inbound traffic from any IP address on UDP port 68.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Hello SomeJoe7777:

I'm trying to get my Win7Pro PC to see my test Hyper-V server from the admin tools but this doesn't/won't work due to the 3801HGV firewall and the fact that they're simpleton programming has firewalling applied against any device external or internal. Since putting the HyperV server on wide open DMZ isn't a secure option (because it opens it wide to external sources) and passing RPC ports through to the HyperV doesn't seem to enable the connectivity then I need to move certain network systems behind a secondary router.

This will impact $$$ if I cannot reverse route connect back to the seconday router from the RG segment...Without over complicating the question... Is there any way to configure the router behind router where X-Box 360's (4 of them) and my UVerse DVR on the RG (all servicing TV access) would be able to access music/video/picture file shares hosted on a store located behind the secondary router!? If not then I'll have to rethink an expensive iSCSI host...Robot Mad

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

First of all, there is no internal (LAN side) firewall on the 2Wire units. If you ahve two devices plugged into the 2Wire and they can't see each other, the problem is not the 2Wire. The LAN side of the 2Wire is a simple switch.

If you need TV devices to see computers for media streaming, then you need them all on the same subnet & same LAN segment. Remove the 3rd party router and configure everything on the 2Wire's LAN segment. Separate IPTV devices and computer devices onto different Ethernet ports of the 2Wire to confine IPTV multicast traffic to only the IPTV devices.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.