Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

13 years ago

I have found keeping a note book with the final settings and how I got there helps 6 months or 2 years from now when something breaks or gets changed by mistake. Print or copy SJ instructions out and remember where you put them.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

What if I cannot get into the iNIDs web interface?  Acutally when the Uverse tech first gave me the ethernet gateway I was able to access the web interface, but did not have or could not find the password to make the needed changes.

After I register on the att.net site I could no longer access the web interface and a quick port scan shows it's not open.  Any ideas?  And once/if I get to it again, what was the password to make the advance changes?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

not a prob, ended up rebooting the iNID and the web interface was accessible again.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for all of your time and information Joe.  I have a similar situation (I think) to what you described in post 13.

I have a Linksys router (not wireless) that I have all of my hardwired connections tied to (need more than the 4 ports and a different location than the RG).  I need to be able to communicate between the wireless clients and the wired clients as well as having all of the wired and wireless clients able to have outside internet access. 

Are your instructions in post 13 still applicable to accomplish this - hence letting the RG do all of the routing?

If I do this, can I also tie another wireless access point to that Linksys router so I can have 2 different wireless bands (my other one is an N wireless)?  This isn't AS important as the other - just wondering.  I do a lot of music streaming from my wired music server to both wired and wireless network players.

Previous setup was Charter so just cable modem -> WAN port of router -> wired out on 7 ports, one of which was then a wireless N access point centrally located in the house rather than in the basement wiring closet.

Thanks in advance!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

bpape wrote:

Are your instructions in post 13 still applicable to accomplish this - hence letting the RG do all of the routing?

If I do this, can I also tie another wireless access point to that Linksys router so I can have 2 different wireless bands (my other one is an N wireless)?  This isn't AS important as the other - just wondering.  I do a lot of music streaming from my wired music server to both wired and wireless network players.

Yes.  Post 13 is exactly what you want.

If you use the 2nd router with the N wireless, the instructions are the same, but also make sure that the IP address you assign to the 2nd router doesn't conflict with the 1st router.  In the example I gave in post 13, the IP address of the 1st router you will assign as 192.168.254.10.  For the 2nd router use (for example) 192.168.254.11.

Everything will be on the same subnet (192.168.254.x) and the RG will be handing out addresses via DHCP.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks

Just to be clear - my existing router (linksys) is not a wireless router - it's wired out only  I run one of the LAN ports out to an external wireless access point (N, not G)

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, your first router (which has no wireless) is still hooked up in accordance with the directions in post 13.  By disabling DHCP on it and not using the WAN port, you are essentially turning it into a plain switch.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

OK.  That's what I thought - just wanted to make sure.

One last question, since the default IP for the RG is 192.168.1.254 and the default IP for the existing routher is 192.168.1.1, I shouldn't have to change the IP on either if I'm thinking correctly?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

True, you don't have to change the IP as long as it's unique on the network.

That goes for both routers, though.  So if you leave the first one at 192.168.1.1, then you'll have to make sure the second one is something other than 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

13 years ago

Right.  By default they were different but on the same 3rd octet.

Worked like a charm.  Just had to do an IPCONFIG release/renew on the wired clients and also renew on the router before setting it to static.

Now for some reason, my main laptop that was always wireless will only connect wired but that's not a big deal (at least for now) since it sits right next to the RG.  Really strange that it won't even let me VIEW the wireless networks even though I've cycled the adapter on/off. Have even manually started the WZC service but still no luck on that piece.

Will check it again after I reboot without the cable connected.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.