Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Scholar

• 

178 Messages

13 years ago

Higher speed, greater range.  My RG is stuck in a closet.  I can put the new router in a more open location.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

So you are only interested in the wireless aspect of the router?

In that case, you do not want to follow these directions at all, since you do not need special routing functionality.  Instead, all you want is a wireless access point.

To do this, do the following:

1. Turn off DHCP on your router.

2. Change the link between the 2Wire router and your router to use the LAN ports on both ends.  (In other words, plug the cable from one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire to one of the LAN ports of your router.  Leave your router's WAN port empty).

3. Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router.  For example, if the 2Wire router is using 192.168.1.x, and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, set your router to 192.168.1.10.

4. If necessary, configure the wireless parameters on your router, such as SSID, encryption, pre-shared key, and MAC filtering.

Your wireless computers connected to your router will now be able to communicate with wired computers on the 2wire router since everything will be on the same subnet.

Scholar

• 

178 Messages

13 years ago

Yes, that did it (now I remember that's how I had set up my old router).  I really appreciate your help.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

So you are only interested in the wireless aspect of the router?

In that case, you do not want to follow these directions at all, since you do not need special routing functionality.  Instead, all you want is a wireless access point.

To do this, do the following:

1. Turn off DHCP on your router.

2. Change the link between the 2Wire router and your router to use the LAN ports on both ends.  (In other words, plug the cable from one of the LAN ports of the 2Wire to one of the LAN ports of your router.  Leave your router's WAN port empty).

3. Change the LAN IP address of your router to a static IP on the same subnet as the 2Wire router.  For example, if the 2Wire router is using 192.168.1.x, and the DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253, set your router to 192.168.1.10.

4. If necessary, configure the wireless parameters on your router, such as SSID, encryption, pre-shared key, and MAC filtering.

Your wireless computers connected to your router will now be able to communicate with wired computers on the 2wire router since everything will be on the same subnet.

SomeJoe

I have read your posts under this topic and also under the “Router behind Router Setup…” topic in this forum.  Thanks for the info.  At the moment I have a Linksys WRT160N router coupled to an AT&T DSL modem.  I am subscribing to UV Internet MAX (no TV or VoIP) and I am getting a 2WIRE-3801 gateway.  I would like to set up my Linksys router as a wireless access point as I prefer Wireless N and WPA2 to the Wireless G and WPA that comes with the 2WIRE.  If I set up the router as a wireless access point as you describe in Message 13 here (I assume that I should turn off the wireless on the 2WIRE also), will I have any kind of firewall protection, either from the UV gateway or the Linksys?  I do not need any special router functionality other than the wireless but I would like to have the extra protection that the router is now providing me with my current DSL setup.  Would you please elaborate on this?  Thank you.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

If you have a 2Wire 3801HGV, then setting your Linksys up in accordance with my post #13 (as a wireless access point) will still maintain firewall protection for your computers.  The 3801 has it's own firewall that will protect the entire network.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

13 years ago

In order to make the changes to the router in steps 1 and 3 of post #13, do I first connect the router directly to a PC and if so do I connect the Ethernet port of the PC to one of the LAN ports of the router or do I connect it to the WAN?  I realize that once the router is configured properly I would be connecting it LAN to LAN - 2WIRE to router.  I am a newbie on this, thanks.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, to perform steps 1 and 3, connect the router directly to a PC using a LAN port on the router.

Once you change the IP address in step 3, you will no longer be able to communicate with the router until the IP address on your computer is changed to an IP address in the same subnet as the router.  This shouldn't be a problem if you simply make sure the computer is getting an IP address via DHCP, reboot the computer, and let it pull an IP address from the 2Wire RG.  If you have configured the new IP address on your router correctly in step 3, you should then be able to communicate with it again.

Explorer

• 

47 Messages

13 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Once you change the IP address in step 3, you will no longer be able to communicate with the router until the IP address on your computer is changed to an IP address in the same subnet as the router.  This shouldn't be a problem if you simply make sure the computer is getting an IP address via DHCP, reboot the computer, and let it pull an IP address from the 2Wire RG.  If you have configured the new IP address on your router correctly in step 3, you should then be able to communicate with it again.

Bear with me and my inexperience but how do I make sure that the computer is getting an IP address via DHCP?  OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.  Where do I verify this?  Or it is the standard config.

To be sure, I first change the router per steps 1 & 3, connect it to the 2WIRE LAN to LAN, reboot computer and then to get to the router I just go to the new IP address of the router???

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

DHCP is the standard configuration of a Windows computer, but during configuration of routers like this, some people temporarily assign a static IP to the computer to facilitate communicating with a router on a different subnet.  If you didn't do that, then it isn't applicable.

Yes, your second statement is the correct procedure.

Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

13 years ago

Somethig got hung up saying it could not post and then it double posted. Could not find a delete button.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.