jainrak's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 26th, 2016 3:45 PM

U Verse modem fee

I saw $7 as equipment rental fee after continuous service of 18+ month. I never had this fee in any of my past bills. When inquired I was told that since my modem was replaced (U Verse service started in May 2014 and modem replaced in December 2015) due to malfunctioning, the replacement modem came with rental. The modem started giving speed problem in December 2015, and when I contacted AT&T technical team, they offered me replacement modem without any fee provided I return the faulty modem to AT&T. They did confirm its going to be free of any charges. I sent the faulty modem back to AT&T via UPS tracking number *** and its been received by AT&T. And still AT&T wants me to pay rental fee.

Now I do not know whether I should continue with AT&T U Verse or look for some other alternative. You never know in future AT&T might bill something as a surprise or new year recovery charges!Truely AT&T has find a way to charge more and more money.

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@jainrak  Sorry, the TOS says everyone will pay the equipment fee.  No $100 upfront, ATT does not sell any RGs anymore. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

8 years ago

They did the same thing to me. After bad and inconsistant service for 18 Months a Tech figured out my old modem was the issue. He swapped out to the newest available modem. Then AT&T started charging me $7.00 a month leasing fee even though I had the inside wiring insurance protection plan. I was also told that even though my plan had the lifetime free equipment plan, that AT&T Corporate made a policy change and that it didn't matter that my original modem was bad. That I now had to pay for a lease modem because it was my bad modem that was free with the lifetime plan was replaced. The new modem should have an internal battey backup so your digital phone service will work during a power outage and was not available when the new modem was installed. I called later to ask about it and was told AT&T no longer provided it but I could buy one for $25.00.

Also, when my service was so terrible during the first year Managers issued me discounts that were to be in place and good until the year 2097.

I could see the discount on my plan details at My AT&T .COM. Now, AT&T has "scrubbed" and deleted all that kind of information from online accounts and I was told that even though they did show valid until 2097, they would not be honored after my 24 month agreement expired and that my bill would increase drastically. AT&T's Office of the President did say they would try to find me some new 'promotions' to offer in the future but, previously offered discounts would not be honored.

One other thing customers should be aware of is AT&T has automatic audits that look for and automatically remove promotions and discounts that you may have recieved if they don't fit the current business model.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

Old modem = No lease fee

New modem = Monthly lease fee

Inside wiring insurance covers WIRING...not equipment.

80 year discount...seriously?  

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

8 years ago

Those discounts were given by executive managers and should have been honored. You must be an AT&T Corporate employee. What's wrong with big corporations is they have zero loyalty to their customers. I am sure the next ting someone will tell me is that if I don't like it I can go else where which is true.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

Nope, skeeter is not an AT&T employee.  If she were, she'd have an AT&T Employee disclaimer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I also had no att modem fee until they switched me from dsl to uverse...now I have that $7 rental fee. ATT never gives you the rate they promise you, and there are always hidden fees. Looking elsewhere. 

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

8 years ago

I had uverse internet with free equipment with terrible service reliability for 18 months with 15 to 20 technicians trying to figure out why. Finally a tech replaced my modem/gateway and fixed the issues. Well AT&T started charging me $7.00 and said my free equipment for life only applied to the first original gateway and it didn't that is was defective for 18 months as it was now out of warranty.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just received a new wifi modem, because my old one would disconnect through wifi connections in an intermittent fashion. The outside packaging showed an updated firmware version, but when I verified it by connecting my laptop, it was the same firmware version as my old equipment. Both modems are the same model. This is very dissapointing considering they will get $84 a year in perpetuity, instead of the $100 where I've had the router for 20 months. ATT stands to make more money by providing the same problematic equipment. I'm going to look elsewhere for internet service that may prove to be more reliable. I'm very dissappointed.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

ATT send me an email to upgrade the new wireless modem, No upgrade fee, No shipping fee, no string attached.

So I ordered the new modem, atter I received the new modem, ATT send me an email specified a $7 charge on equipment rental fee.

I think ATT is LIAR, they said everything is FREE, there are nothing specifed on the email that there will be a charge for rental fee. If I know a rental fee, I won't upgrade at all.

I have been with ATT more than 20 years, NOW I will cancel the ATT.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

ATT sent me the same email.  I have also been with ATT for a long time and will be leaving also, I quess loyalty means nothing to these people, but $7 means everything.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.