rchadwic's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, February 22nd, 2014 9:43 PM

U-Verse Technical documentation

I have U-verse, TV, Internet and phones. This is all entering my home via a system of copper twisted pairs that was buried some 50 years ago when the area was first developed. Having some 60 years experience in communications electronics (retired electrical engineer) I am having some difficulty grasping how you guys fit all that stuff onto a pair of copper wires that were buried back in the day when 75 baud data was considered state of the art.  Is there a book, or a place on the internet, that will provide some technical background on this? Specific data, not the type of stuff that Customer Service folks feed to the non-technical citizenry.  Thank you.

(I asked this a week or so ago but never got a response...)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

My Cup Runneth Over....

That about answers all my questions. And the list of acronyms is also helpful.

Perhaps tomorrow when my mind is awake again I will compile all this data into one document, with appropriate credits, and it could be made available to other technical new guys.

Thank you all very much.

Bob C

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@SomeJoe7777  I was kinda wondering why you hadn't had a chance to update with the new NVG modem.  I had one installed on Wednesday and now my UVRT won't work. Now I know.  Great program and even the tech that came out on Thursday to swap the card at the VRAD said that some of them use it now.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Just a nit pock- CWA is Communicatio Workers of America, which encompasses the many variamts of supplying communications. Copper wire to coaxial cables to Fiber Opticd, to whatever the next technolgies, including the wireless edge to 4G LTE
to 5, 6, 7 etc. G, analog to digital multiplexing, fiber rings on and on and on 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@sandyc954 wrote:
Just a nit pock- CWA is Communicatio Workers of America, which encompasses the many variamts of supplying communications. Copper wire to coaxial cables to Fiber Opticd, to whatever the next technolgies, including the wireless edge to 4G LTE
to 5, 6, 7 etc. G, analog to digital multiplexing, fiber rings on and on and on 🙂

Not sure what you're trying to say.  Communication Workers of America (CWA) is a union that covers many AT&T technical employees, as well as those of other Telephone companies.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

The reply function is lacking, it is understandable that there was confusion. I should have said to whom and what I was responding.
Perhaps the site gurus can make it automatic like some community boards do?
Sorry for nitpicking and all the typos frim my tiny keyed iPhone.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@sandyc954 wrote:
The reply function is lacking, it is understandable that there was confusion. I should have said to whom and what I was responding.
Perhaps the site gurus can make it automatic like some community boards do?
Sorry for nitpicking and all the typos frim my tiny keyed iPhone.

Ah... the interface is quite different between the mobile site and the full PC site.  You do lose the ability to quote.  Even on the PC interface, the non-linear reading listing drives me crazy and I enable it only in desperation when trying to sort through whose reply goes to where.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

U-verse technician are a joke. They have been coming to install my services for two weeks. They keep reporting in the system that they have been to my house or called and left voice messages but that is not the truth. I've missed a total of 16 hours from work trying to have services installed but that is not the case. I have been told by several respresentatives that I am a valued customer yet I have been treated like an outcast. I want my services installed and I need my internet to perform part of my job duties.  I cannot express the frustation that I've expressed behind this matter. I was also informed that my services will be installed on today guranteed. I will keep you all posted.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.