haysjedi's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 10th, 2012 10:16 PM

U-Verse Router: wireless devices cannot talk to wired devices

I have U-Verse for my home internet.  My router has 4 plugs for Ethernet plus it supplies wireless to my house.  Via Ethernet cables, I have a laptop and a printer.  Via wireless, I have a couple laptops.

The laptop connected with Ethernet can talk to the printer (also Ethernet).

The laptops connected with wireless cannot talk to any other devices.

Everything can get out to the Internet.  That's not the problem.  The issue is that the U-Verse router seems to purposely prevent wireless connected devices from communicating with any other devices connected to the router.  I'm hoping there's a configuration setting somewhere that controls this, which can be fixed.

I already tried customer support.  They refused to help me, and referred me to pay-for-service support.  I think that's unreasonable, because this is related to their router.  I consider this a defect in their service.

Help???

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I would suggest stepping back and looking at the Firewall settings on all of the computers. The first line of defense, which is your firewall software, whether it is the one that came with the Operating System, or some third party that you paid for, or just downloaded one of the free ones like Comodo, will cause computers to not see each other.

That is one reason I do not turn on the firewall software when I am on my home network, because it is not needed, unless you are roaming and using Public networks.

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

Good luck.  With your attitude, I think that you will need it.  

If you work in IT, it surprises me that you are unable to setup a home network.

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm in IT, and have already verified all of the obvious things

I work as technical support for a major software provider and I've spent as much time correcting IT persons mistakes and screw ups as I do fixing issues with our software when needed. 

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@haysjedi wrote:

I have U-Verse for my home internet.  My router has 4 plugs for Ethernet plus it supplies wireless to my house.  Via Ethernet cables, I have a laptop and a printer.  Via wireless, I have a couple laptops.

The laptop connected with Ethernet can talk to the printer (also Ethernet).

The laptops connected with wireless cannot talk to any other devices.

Everything can get out to the Internet.  That's not the problem.  The issue is that the U-Verse router seems to purposely prevent wireless connected devices from communicating with any other devices connected to the router.  I'm hoping there's a configuration setting somewhere that controls this, which can be fixed.

I already tried customer support.  They refused to help me, and referred me to pay-for-service support.  I think that's unreasonable, because this is related to their router.  I consider this a defect in their service.

Help???

Nope, that's not the case.  I have both wired and wireless devices which can communicate with each other on my home network.  

You need to properly configure your home network.  Setting up a customer's home network is not part of your U-verse services; however, a U-verse Connect Tech can be sent to your home, for a fee, to configure your home network.  You can also pay your own third party person to configure your home network.  You can also Google "home network setup" for help in setting up a home network.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

My home network IS the AT&T U-Verse router.  That's it.  There are no other routers, switches, or anything else.  Are you aware of any settings in the U-Verse router (192.168.1.254) that can affect the ability for all devices to talk to each other?  I've gone through all the pages of settings, and nothing is obvious.  I still think it's stupid to have to pay someone to come to my house to fix AT&T's equipment.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

@haysjedi wrote:

My home network IS the AT&T U-Verse router.  That's it.  There are no other routers, switches, or anything else.  Are you aware of any settings in the U-Verse router (192.168.1.254) that can affect the ability for all devices to talk to each other?  I've gone through all the pages of settings, and nothing is obvious.  I still think it's stupid to have to pay someone to come to my house to fix AT&T's equipment.

No, a home network is not a router.  A home network needs to be setup.  I would suggest that you begin by Googling how to setup a home network.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Your reply was condescending and not helpful at all.  I'm in IT, and have already verified all of the obvious things.  A U-Verse router can count as a home network.  It provides internet access, an Ethernet switch, and a wifi network, all in one.

All you had to say was that the same thing works for you, and you're not familiar with any U-Verse router settings that would explicitly affect this.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I see nothing condescending about the OP remarks.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.