sdfiberQequip's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 17th, 2015 5:52 PM

U-Verse Modem - Rent or Buy Options?

Can I buy a Fiber Optic Modem instead of renting one from AT&T? What are the necessary specs?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

Nope, have to rent the ATT one so it'll sign in on the ATT Uverse network.  These are the only ones that will do it. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

So, in speaking with two different sales reps, one said no and one said I could purchase one for $100 from an AT&T store. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

So i was about to ditch TWC because of all the hidden fees and HD channel charges. But, Sadly ATT is starting to do the same thing with the 10 dlls HD Fee and the Modem Rental. I guess i rather stay with the same known devil than the trying a newone. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

If I am only looking for Uverse internet, I was told I could buy the 2 Wire modem.  I checked Amazon, ATT,  2 Wire/Pace but could not find the right modem.  Fearing the problem with used equipment, do you have a source for new equipment?  Thank you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

My 3600HGV just failed and needs to be replaced. The Tech support person said they'd send me a new one, but I'll be forced to pay the $7/mo lease fee.

If I purchase a used 3600HGV modem from ebay, will AT&T let me connect it? I can buy used ones for $30 delivered. Much cheaper than leasing one.

Please let me know before I purchase a used unit.

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but..

Megalops,

The 3600HGV used for ATT IPTV was never available for purchase and is the property of AT&T. If someone has one for sale on eBay (for example) technically it is the property of AT&T and should not be for sale.   I doubt you will get an AT&T rep to give you the thumbs up that it is OK to purchase and connect.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

9 years ago

@AJ5TT wrote:

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but..

Megalops,

The 3600HGV used for ATT IPTV was never available for purchase and is the property of AT&T. If someone has one for sale on eBay (for example) technically it is the property of AT&T and should not be for sale.   I doubt you will get an AT&T rep to give you the thumbs up that it is OK to purchase and connect.

The 3600 was never used for IPTV.  It was used for VDSL2 Internet Only or VDSL2 Internet w/ U-verse Voice deployments.  It was replaced by the NV 5031 for those situations.  It was sold for $100, not rented.

Now, having said that, I do not know if you can get a different 3600 to activate on your line.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Does anyone know if AT&T will let me hook up a replacement 3600 or 5031 purchased from ebay?

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

Chromecast & YouTube together is a beautiful thing

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I was forced to lease the modem last year and now I see it was after Jan. 1, 2015?????

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.