Explore & discover

Helpful Links

U-Verse Modem - Rent or Buy Options?

Highlighted
Contributor

U-Verse Modem - Rent or Buy Options?

Can I buy a Fiber Optic Modem instead of renting one from AT&T? What are the necessary specs?

Message 1 of 76
Expert

Re: U-Verse Modem

Nope, have to rent the ATT one so it'll sign in on the ATT Uverse network.  These are the only ones that will do it. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 2 of 76
Contributor

So, in speaking with two different sales reps, one said no and one said I could purchase one for $100 from an AT&T store. 

Message 3 of 76
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

For all Uverse installs on or after January 12, 2015 the RGs are company owned and only available for equipment fee of $7 per month.

For all IPTV accounts or FTTP accounts or bonded pair internet accounts this has always been the case, but previous internet only or internet/VoIP on a single pair were customer purchased for both adsl2+ and VDSL accounts.

To my knowledge the only RG available for purchase from the website is the 510 RG only used on ADSL2+ accounts. I suspect this is for pre January 2015 accounts where the RG needs to be replaced not for new accounts. This will eventually be discontinued as the same RG delivered by a tech on a repair ticket is only available for monthly charge, if customer refuses the charge the tech leaves without replacing RG and customer continues with problem including being out of service.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 76
Contributor

So i was about to ditch TWC because of all the hidden fees and HD channel charges. But, Sadly ATT is starting to do the same thing with the 10 dlls HD Fee and the Modem Rental. I guess i rather stay with the same known devil than the trying a newone. 

Message 5 of 76
Employee

the company is not starting, 

For IPTV services there has always been the $10 HD fee and RG equipment fee with HSIA.

Previous those who had only internet or internet/VoIP on a single pair install were able to purchase an RG with a 1 year warranty, but TV customers have never had that option.

Many have stated they prefer Uverse picture quality and service over TWC but questioned internet speeds, sometimes resulting in not putting all eggs in one basket but ordering only what desired from each normally at a higher rate than bundled service with one provider.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 76
Contributor

If I am only looking for Uverse internet, I was told I could buy the 2 Wire modem.  I checked Amazon, ATT,  2 Wire/Pace but could not find the right modem.  Fearing the problem with used equipment, do you have a source for new equipment?  Thank you.

Message 7 of 76
Employee

To repeat....

For all Uverse installs on or after January 12, 2015 the RGs are company owned and only available for equipment fee of $7 per month.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 76
Contributor

My 3600HGV just failed and needs to be replaced. The Tech support person said they'd send me a new one, but I'll be forced to pay the $7/mo lease fee.

If I purchase a used 3600HGV modem from ebay, will AT&T let me connect it? I can buy used ones for $30 delivered. Much cheaper than leasing one.

Please let me know before I purchase a used unit.

Message 9 of 76
Explorer

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but..

Megalops,

The 3600HGV used for ATT IPTV was never available for purchase and is the property of AT&T. If someone has one for sale on eBay (for example) technically it is the property of AT&T and should not be for sale.   I doubt you will get an AT&T rep to give you the thumbs up that it is OK to purchase and connect.

Message 10 of 76
ACE - Expert

AJ5TT wrote:

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong but..

Megalops,

The 3600HGV used for ATT IPTV was never available for purchase and is the property of AT&T. If someone has one for sale on eBay (for example) technically it is the property of AT&T and should not be for sale.   I doubt you will get an AT&T rep to give you the thumbs up that it is OK to purchase and connect.

The 3600 was never used for IPTV.  It was used for VDSL2 Internet Only or VDSL2 Internet w/ U-verse Voice deployments.  It was replaced by the NV 5031 for those situations.  It was sold for $100, not rented.

Now, having said that, I do not know if you can get a different 3600 to activate on your line.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 76
Contributor

Does anyone know if AT&T will let me hook up a replacement 3600 or 5031 purchased from ebay?

Message 12 of 76

Re: U-Verse Modem - Rent or Buy Options?

Chromecast & YouTube together is a beautiful thing
Message 13 of 76
Contributor

I was forced to lease the modem last year and now I see it was after Jan. 1, 2015?????

Message 14 of 76
ACE - Expert

OldBoatingGuy wrote:

I was forced to lease the modem last year and now I see it was after Jan. 1, 2015?????

You said in your other post that you have an NVG 589.  That model device was never sold, always leased.  You probably needed dual pair to provide your service, which required use of the NVG 589 instead of any other modem (including those that could be purchased at that time).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 76
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support