For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Voxx123's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014 8:11 PM

Sporadic High Ping

Hi, I am constantly having really bad ping spikes which makes many online games unplayable for me.

I have a

PACE DSL Gateway Model 4111N

and DSL 3mbps connection.

I suspect that the problem has to do with having several devices active at the same time. 2 Desktops, 2 phones, a laptop, and netflix on the TV. These other devices must be sucking all the bandwidth away from me from time to time. Here is a pic of a pingtest from my desktop to the gateway.

http://puu.sh/aBSdv/cd87a2ced8.png

You can see the frequent lag spikes. Is there some way to deal with this problem? Some setting on my gateway configuration? I had some latency problems with Comcast years ago, but it was never this frequent.

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Hello, is there any solution to this besides getting a commercial-grade router?

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Voxx123,

Are those other devices and services being used at the same time as you're trying to play? The issue is most likely not your router, but the amount of bandwidth and how many devices/users are sharing it.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

On top of what ATTDmitriyCM asked,

Is this wired or wireless?

As mentioned above, there may be a lot of devices using up the bandwidth.

I remember that when I had 3 Mbps U-verse(had more upload than what you have) my latency would jump pretty high whenever I would download something.

If that's the case, you may want to upgrade to the Elite tier if it's available or upgrade to U-verse(if available).

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have tried both wired and wireless. Nothing changes.

Edit: Unfortunately, U-verse is not available where I live.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.