For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
jwtjr999's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 12:03 AM

Sony BD-570 won't connect to AT&T 2 Wire Modem!

The Sony message boards are full of this problem, yet after talking to their tech support (useless) for over 2 hours, no solution, and they say with a straight face this is the first time they've encountered it.  Also spoke with AT&T's (paid; $50 down the drain) tech support people for another 2 hours, and they couldn't solve it.  After waiting 20 minutes to schedule an in-home visit, I decided against throwing good money after bad.  I'm still stuck with no internet connectivity between my wireless BD player and my great, new wireless router!  My old D-Link router worked just fine.

My question to this forum is, has anyone else encountered this problem with the Sony BDP-570 and the AT&T wireless modem/router and found a solution?  I have to believe the answer is yes!  If so and that person is reading this, please help!  I've tried everything I can think of; the only thing left to try is to snake a cable through the attic and hard wire the thing. Ugh...

Thanks in advance!

Johnny T from Texas

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Hey BeeBee,

The AT&T tech I had on the phone had me reset the player to default factory settings, and reconnect to the router from scratch.  I still got the "no internet connection" message when it was all done.  I suspect the problem is in the different security protocols between the D-Link and 2 Wire routers.  It works fine with an ethernet cable plugged in, but no dice as soon as it's unplugged.  I did go through the wireless setup with it plugged in, but lost internet connection as soon as I unplugged the cable.

Oh well.  This morning I gave up and bought a Roku.  It works fine.  I really didn't want to spend the extra dough, but at least now I won't be paying for NetFlix and not being able to watch it.

I thank everyone again for your suggestions and your help!

Johnny in Texas

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

12 years ago

I do not have a blue ray player but I did some research after I read your post.  Everything I found said that this model is Wi-Fi ready but requires an optional adapter for this purpose.  You did not indicate in your post if you have that optional adapter with your unit.  Do you?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

jwtjr999 - If you have an STB connected to TV with the BD-570 & that STB is fed COAX, you can connect the BD-570 via cat5 to the spare network port on the STB

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Hi, I don't have a STB, but I appreciate the suggestion just the same!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I don't have an optional adapter.  But I had great internet connectivity when I was using the D-Link router.  The only reason I switched to the 2 Wire is because I was having some connectivity issues with my computer.  AT&T didn't support the router and D-Link didn't support the modem.  It made sense (or so I thought) to get the 2 Wire combo modem/router, so that the same company would support both.  I'm worse off now than I was before... paying for NetFlix, and can't stream movies.  I can't even download update firmware in my BD player!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I still have my old SpeedStream DSL router.  Would it work if I ran a telephone line to the location of the BD player and ran a cable from the router straight to the player?  That would be a lot easier that installing a cable run from by 2 Wire to the BD player.  Thoughts?

And, a special thank you to those already responded!  I really appreciate your trying to help solve a problem that is not your own!

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

I would check to see if you have the latest firmware on your BDP-S570.  Here is a link to the Sony Support Site for the download:  http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS570&LOC=3#/downloadTab

It states:

File Description UPDATE Blu-ray Disc™ Player Firmware UpgradeRelease Date 8/23/2011 Version M04.R.787 File Size 36.89 MB This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc player firmware to version M04.R.787 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M04.R.752:

• Adds the ability to play 3D content using BRAVIA® Internet Video and the Qriocity™ IPTV service
    Note: The availability of services in each country may vary
  • Adds support for the 3D Experience content using BRAVIA Internet Video
    Note: The availability of services in each country may vary
  • Improves YouTube® connectivity
  • Adds the ability to play 1080/60p video files produced by Sony® cameras
  • Improves BD-ROM playability
  • Improves HDMI® connectivity
  • Resolves an uncommon issue where the Blu-ray Disc player connects to the Internet even when setting "Do not allow internet connection".

Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M04.R.787:

• Resolves an uncommon issue where the xross media bar™ language may switch to English after the Blu-ray Disc player starts up.
    • Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs
    • Adds support for 3D content
    • Adds support for DLNA® content
    • Improves router connectivity
    • Resolves an issue where video streamed over the Internet may be displayed at SD (Standard Definition) instead of HD (High Definition) even when using a high speed Internet connection (10 Mbps or more) and watching video that is provided in HD.
    • Enhanced Gracenote® Entertainment database browser features:
      Adds new features such Related Information Browse and Contents Search to improve your Blu-ray Disc™ movie database.
    • Enhanced photo slideshow:
      Adds new visual effects and music to add to your photos when they are displayed on a TV.
    • Improved Compatibility:
      Adds compatibility with DTS® Neo:6® to convert the audio into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks BeeBee!  I'll have to try downloading to a CD ROM since I don't have internet connectivity.  It's definitely worth a try.  Sure beats stringing cable through the attic!  I'll report my results.  Thanks again!

Johnny

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

From Sony's firmware upgrade page:

"If the last three digits of the version number are 787 or higher, it is not necessary to install this firmware upgrade."

My BDP reports its current firmware version as M04.R.787.

Ah, well, it was well worth checking in to.  Thank you again for the suggestion BeeBee.

I suppose I should go buy a Eudora, or another BD player to watch streaming video.  It's a shame you don't get what you pay for.  The thing that completely stumps me is the fact that it worked fine with the D-Link router!  Unfortunately I gave it away when I bought the 2 Wire.

Any other thoughts or suggestions before I go lay out more cash?  And one more time, THANK YOU! to everyone who offered advice and suggestions.  This is the most helpful forum I've ever visited!!!

Johnny in Texas

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I should add that neither Sony or AT&T has been of absolutely NO help in resolving this problem, including their paid services...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.