lildevild's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, September 29th, 2017 3:42 PM

Slow speeds while in DMZ+ mode

I have tried three different routers and all of them run at 60 mbps down and around 220 up.  What is wrong with my Pace 5268AC.

First modem:

WNDR3700 - returned

Second Modem:

ASUS RT68U - still have and running dd-wrt

Third and final which I'm keeping:

pfsense box running on a quad core i5 with two Intel Gigabit PCI Network cards.

Long and short is I tried to put all of these in cascaded router mode / DMZ+ and everyone of them gave me the same speeds.  However if I hook up directly to the Pace I get 950 +/- down and 950 +/- up.

What gives?  I have seen other people with the same problem.  The Pace's firewall settings are horrendous, plus I can't monitor my bandwidth using NetFlow like I can with my pfsense.  I'm very close to cancelling AT&T and going back to Comcast.

Thanks,

Chris P.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I called support and they are shipping me a different gateway. Not a 5268ac

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I'm dealing with this as well.  I was even testing two identical Datto routers, one in DMZ+ and one using DHCP and couldn't figure out why the one on DHCP was running at line speed and the one in DMZ+ was 50/220.

This is unacceptable garbage (yet again) from ATT.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I just ran into this as well.   My setup has been in DMZ mode for 1 1/2 years with no issue.  Something has happened in the past few days that introduced this speed issue and general 

gateway instability.

Download Speeds are capped around 48Mbs.  If I change the 'Lan IP Allocation between DMZ -to-  Private IPs with firewall'  I am back to 700-800Mbs.

I first noticed a issue on Friday November 30th.  My security system could no longer get out but everything else seemed to work..  It uses a SIP protocol (voice over IP).   A reboot of the gateway fixed the issue.   Then I started having some issues with discord voice chat and some video streaming.   That is when I noticed the speed dropped into this 40mbs range. 

I also noticed at this point the 'wifi' light on the gateway was blinking when I know I had shut off the wifi at installation time (1 1/2 years ago).  Somehow it had enabled the 5ghz band by itself.

It took forever to get the web page to come up so I could disable it again.   It seems that some of the web pages on the gateway are now getting stuck for 10mins+.   

This feels like a really bad software update.

My gateway information:

Model 5268AC , Hw version 260-2173300 , Software Version 11.1.0.531418-att

For now I will have to live in non DMZ mode.   I will try to contact support during the week.   I really dread that process.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

If you go to dslreports ATT forum there are instructions on how to downgrade to v10.7 which fixes the issue temporarily.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The new firmware must have been updated while we were traveling for Thanksgiving. It took down our network that we had been using for years. I have contacted support and they sent me a new 5268AC. Then I bought a new router. Then I even had an AT&T technician out to my house. Our internet still barely works at all. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I noticed yesterday that my Fingbox speed test history showed a massive drop off right around Thanksgiving. After connecting it directly to the 5268AC and seeing 900+ speeds, I assumed my existing router had degraded for some reason.

I just now finished setting up a replacement router that I bought this afternoon and was surprised to see it was also stuck at 45-40 when in DMZ+ mode. That's when I realized it had to be an issue with the 5268AC and DMZ+ mode. Google led me here. Sorry to see others having problems, but glad there is validation for what I am experiencing.

Next step is for me to contact Support. Please post if you have any luck with a brand new gateway. My fear is that it will be fine at first and then auto-update just like this one did and will be back at square one again.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the exact same issue and it's freaking ridiculous.  Being double NAT'd is NOT a long term solution and completely breaks my setup.

I am afraid that ATT is going to charge me to send a technician out or something for this problem which is 100% not my fault.  

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

5 years ago

Hi all,

I have the same issue; just started a few days ago so I can only assume that the Pace router upgraded firmware and caused it. Once I took my PC out of DMZ+ mode it resolved the issue. Fortunately for me, I can get by with having to poke holes in the firewall, but I would prefer a bypass option. From what I have heard AT&T really isn't worried about this issue due to the fact that only a small number of their customers require DMZ+ to be on... If you do, then get a different router from them (not Pace) and it should resolve the issue from what I understand.

-Swerved

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Just chiming in that I am experiencing this issue as well. Spent hours this evening trying to troubleshoot and finally stumbled onto this thread. Everything described in this thread is exactly what is happening to me. So frustrated!

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

5 years ago

As mentioned previously around here (I think), I'm seeing reports of many folks having success with rolling the firmware back to the previous version. However, there could be a few issues... 1) Some have reported that as soon as they rolled back or soon after, there was another forced update to the version with the messed up DMZ+, 2) Folks that order new RG's are getting the same ones agaion, regardless of specifying the model they want (such as BGW210, etc)..  and 3) Folks like me that require a coaxial output on the RG for TV, are out of luck. As far as I know the BGW210 and the NV599 both do not have coaxial outputs. There is another workaround involving a "dumb switch" that I will post below, but I have not tried this and it may be dependent on what you have for a switch and router. So for now, looks like it's double-NAT'ing for me and many others. I'm getting about 920/970 down/up right now so I can live with it. Just had to do some work on the firewall to make sure everything worked that was affected.

"Dumb Switch" Fix:

1. Spoof mac address of your ATT gateway into your router.
2. Unhook everything.
3. Hook up a dumb switch and plug in your ONT to one port of the switch.
4. Hook up your ATT gateway to any other port of the switch.
5. Power up the switch and ATT gateway and let the gateway sync to the ATT system.
6. After sync up unplug the gateway from switch (I'm assuming they mean to also connect the ONT directly to the AT&T gateway at this point), and turn on your own router (assuming again, which is connected to the gateway) .

Done.

A UPS power supply is recommended so the power don't drop to the switch. This will cause the link to drop and repeating steps 4-6

The final outcome. No more ATT gateway between you and the world.

I did not come up with this so the credit does not belong to me. Don't know who it originally came from but I'm sure they spent many hours figuring it out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.