Slooowwwww Conectivity when connected to my offsite VPN

Tutor

Slooowwwww Conectivity when connected to my offsite VPN

I am grasping here as ATT support has been unable to resolve.  Ever since I have had U-Verse, I have connected to my business machine via VPN no problem.  Now, sometime this past week, I can connect, but at a snails pace.  Reference - I download a processed flat file from my system to my local here.  Time usually 1min, tops.  Now same size file taking up to 20 min.

I have already run all the tests on the VPN side with the VPN IT folks and they are not getting the lag.  I also have my programmer and another employee that connect with that same VPN from their home, and no issues for them.

I even disconnected from Uverse and connnected via my phone 3G hotspot and it works just fine.

I have reset, rebooted and re everything to no avail.  It is strictly isolated to how the 2wire connects to my VPN.  It is almost like it is blocking free flow of data and pausing it.

Am open to any ideas please.  Tks

Message 1 of 10 (1,172 Views)
Tutor

Re: Slooowwwww Conectivity when connected to my offsite VPN

Btw, internet and everything else is running fine.  Strong 23Mbps/2.7Mbps on speedtest.  Issue isolated to VPN connection only.

Message 2 of 10 (1,163 Views)
Expert

There are many people reporting similar but unrelated issues with routing and slow speeds in the past few days, I've seen it on this forum and a few others.

I would give it a few days and see if it clears up.

Message 3 of 10 (1,053 Views)
Expert

I just checked my VPN and I'm seeing the same thing.  It's very strange.

I have a router-to-router VPN set up with Cisco equipment on both ends.  I can map drives and ping servers, but the instant I try to transfer a file it completely fails.

I'm going to poke around with WireShark and see if there's something obvious going on.

Message 4 of 10 (1,043 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Mine works just fine.  Retrieved a 75MB file at around 700KiB/s and was fairly steady.

Message 5 of 10 (1,037 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tortoise
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Mmmmkay ... Got some odd things going on.

I have 3 computers in the house, two are Windows 7 x64, and one is Windows 7 x86.  One of the x64 machines was not able to transfer a file.  I tried on the other one, it wouldn't download it either.  In both cases, the "Copying Files" dialog box comes up, but no data gets transferred, and eventually it times out with the error "Drive X: is no longer available".

I went to the x86 machine and tried it, and oddly, it worked fine.  I don't think the bit-depths of the machines should make any difference at all, so looking closer, I thought maybe there was a Windows update that might be causing a problem.  I did some checking for updates, but all machines were pretty much up to date.

By this time, I went back to the x64 machines and tried the file transfer again, and this time it works with no problem.  Smiley Indifferent  ???

Looks like there may have been some odd thing going on in AT&T's network that has now disappeared.

Message 6 of 10 (1,026 Views)
Tutor

Re: Slooowwwww Connectivity when connected to my offsite VPN

All is good in VPN-world again!  Seems like I am back up to full speed again.

That is funny as one of the Tier 3 tech support guys yesterday told me to maybe try waiting about 24-48 hours to see maybe some updates are being done.  I was kind of ticked that that was a blow off answer.  Maybe they knew something was up and were told it was being worked on, but just didn't relay that through to customers.  Whether or not that is the case, of the 7/8 ppl I spoke with yesterday and all the line tests they did, you think that would show up somewhere.

Glad it was self resolved, because I was getting dizzy trying to figure out firewall/port/??? Settings to figure out what was going on.

Believe it or not, it is actually a relief to hear that it was not isolated to my system.  What is the old saying - "misery loves company".... Whatever it was, thank you all for taking the time to check on your own ends and share.  You fixed it! Smiley Wink 

Message 7 of 10 (1,016 Views)
Expert

Hopefully ATT has resolved or very close to resolving this issue.

Message 8 of 10 (950 Views)
Tutor

Yes, RCSMG, evertyhing is working as it should.  Don't know what it was, why, or how, but not worth racking my brain up to figure out. Smiley Happy

Thanks!  Hopefully I will have the need to be on this forum too often.  This is the first time and coming up on 1yr with U-verse.

I am also twice as happy because we now FINALLY have MLB network!!!  That was the hardest thing with leaving DirecTV.

Message 9 of 10 (946 Views)
Expert

EnjoySmiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 10 (932 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.