Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 4th, 2014 3:15 AM

Set Time Limits on U-Verse Internet Router

I have

ManufacturerMotorola
Model NumberNVG589

How can I set some devices to only have access during a time window.  Say, I want to block some devices between the hours of 10PM and 6AM?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

229 Messages

10 years ago

Hey sosebee05,

You'll want to download AT&T Smart Controls to your computer. 

- Visit http://www.att.net/smartcontrols-InternetParentalControls

- Click Download Now on the right side of the page

Note: You'll need your att.net login for the free download. 

-----

Smart Controls has a few more features in addition to setting timers as well:

• Customize profiles for each family member and set appropriate limits for their online usage.
  • Block access to specific services such as email, messenger, chat groups, music and message boards.
  • Allows children to request permission to visit unauthorized websites and lets you approve access.
  • View your child's online activities including mail and Internet surfing history with report cards.
  • Conveniently manage account settings from any web-connected computer.
  • Tamper controls alert you if others attempt to change the settings.
  • Manage your setting with a master account that can activate parental controls on up to 10 sub accounts.
  • An online timer limits the amount of time users can spend online.

Enjoy!

Scholar

• 

127 Messages

9 years ago

Does this software allow the administrator to limit time for all devices?  It appears it is only useable on the device that it is installed on.   I don't see any tab that controls individual devices on the behalf the the Uverse router

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I Smart Controls software available for Windows 8.1 users? What is the link? Thanks!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

i need to know this also....i use windows 8 and it wont work

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

The SmartControls software doesn't work on any version of Windows after 7, and only functions on the computers on which it is installed (e.g. wouldn't block phones, tablets, game systems).

The U-verse Gateway doesn't have a feature allowing you to restrict access by time of day.

You need to purchase a third party wireless router that has this feature and install it between your network and the U-verse Gateway.  Be sure to disable the wireless feature of the U-verse Gateway as well (so they can't go around your new router).  See see the solution in this thread for a quick guide on setting up.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Your solution shows the obsolescence of AT&T's understanding of the typical family.   What I believe today's consumer expects is parental controls (such as IP address/range time scheduling, activity logging, site blocking) at the router level, not an application run on a "family computer".  My wife made the unfortunate decision to "upgrade" our service to U-verse and I have discovered how woefully inadequate the NVG599 performs compared to my years old Netgear router.  These simple features aren't new - it seems AT&T made a profit-driven decision to provide the lowest quality product.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

But isn't this only applicable to the pc/device it is installed on? I am trying to put limits on ALL devices that connect to the modem in my home such as my children's game consoles, televisions & iPad's.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

This isn't available for windows 10

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Is the app free indefinitely or does it require in app purchases to get full access to the functions?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.