For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
MSECPDEP1's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 8:59 PM

Routing NVG510 to phone module

I am attempting to route my NVG510 to a phone module, As long as as hook up one output in the module it works okay, As soon as I hook up the second module the router fails.  I have checked the wiring to verify everything is wired correctly..  Any suggestions? 

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

@MSECPDEP1 wrote:

I am attempting to route my NVG510 to a phone module, As long as as hook up one output in the module it works okay, As soon as I hook up the second module the router fails....

1. Can you provide a much better explanation of what "routing [a] NVG510 to a phone module" entails?
  2. What will this do for you?
  3. What connections are you using on the NVG 510?
  4. When "the router fails," what does that look like (error messages, lights, etc.)?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I do not have enough output ports. So I am attemptting to route one output from the modem to a phone module with eight more output ports. This will allow me to hardwire the devices I am using to stream TV.  After I run the output from the modem and connect more than one output from the phone module the modem does not send a signal. It operates okay as long as I hook up one device only out of the phone module

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

@MSECPDEP1, as my thoughts indicated, the correct device for connecting multiple Ethernet connections together is a Switch (or a hub, though hubs are pretty much obsolete these days).  You cannot treat cabling used for twisted pair Ethernet the same way you would cabling for analog telephones; that will not work at all.  Twisted-Pair Ethernet cabling uses point-to-point or star topology, not a bus like 10base5 or 10base2, which use Coax as a shared medium and  carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD) to prevent nodes talking over each other.  Only two nodes are ever on a Twisted-Pair Ethernet cable; one on each end.

Look for Gigabit Ethernet Switch on Amazon or wherever you like to buy electronics.  The Netgear GS105 or GS108 are often used by AT&T when needed for this application.

I thought that you might have been attempting to connect multiple phones to the VOIP jack on the NVG510.  That is possible.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for your help.  I will be getting switch today. I was trying to use a Leviton Bridged expansion board.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.