NorisR's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, February 15th, 2019 2:40 AM

How can I upgrade my Arris model NVG589 router?

My Router is an Arris model NVG589.  I am trying to figure how to improve my WIFI strength in a large house (5,000 SQ FT).  I was told that this router was 1.5 but it shows as 2.4.  Is there another available upgrade that would give me more bandwidth and maybe 5.0???

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

The NVG599, 5268ac, and BWG210 are dual band gateways (router/modems).  But the 5GHz band has even less range than the 2.4.  So that's isn't going to solve your range problem.  You probably need a wifi range extender.  Att sells one called AirTies specifically for those gateway models.  Info on it is here and according to the info on that page you probably need 2 of them for 5000 sq ft.  But it's not the only extender in the world so maybe you can find some other alternatives.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

That is a helpful response.  My router/modem is NVG589 as compared to the NVG599, but I agree that the 5.0 will not be helpful so I move on to extenders.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have nvg510 can I upgrade which will it make my internet faster

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@pookiebear_66 

What speed tier are you paying for?   No matter which gateway you have you aren't going to get more than that.  So you might want to consider upgrading your internet service if that's possible in your location and you are willing to pay for it.  Check Availability to see if there are faster speeds available.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.