For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
houston01's profile

Scholar

• 

133 Messages

Saturday, January 4th, 2014 12:40 AM

Router behind Router (Second Network)

Set-up a router behind the Motorola NVG589 for gaming.  Everything works great.  The second router has a gateway address of 192.168.2.254.  I get to the config page of the Motorola NVG589 by typing 192.168.1.254 and I get to the config page of the netgear router by typing 192.168.2.254.

I have a laptop hardwired into the netgear router.  It received an ip address from the netgear router of 192.168.2.64 (as expected).  My question is on the laptop I can type 192.168.2.254 and configure the netgear router but the laptop also let me see the Motorola by typing 192.168.1.254.  I would have thought because the laptop was on xxx.2.xxx I wouldn't be able to see any xxx.1.xxx devices.?

Why can I see 192.168.1.254?

(as a side note I have a iMac hardwired into the Motorola and when I type 192.168.2.254 I can't see the netgear config page...not being able to see it made sense to me) 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi houston01,

With you being able to see your other router, that just means the routing tables are setup correctly to send the data to the appropriate places. As long as your routing paths are setup correctly, then you should be able to access any part of your network. What is probably happening with your connection is that your router gets a packet with a destination IP of 192.168.1.254 and realizes it's not on it's network, and shoots it out to the WAN side where the U-verse router picks it up and resolves it to the GUI page.

With your MAC, what is probably happening with it is that our U-verse router sees a packet with a destination of IP of 192.168.2.54 and it realizes it's not on it's network, and is shooting it out the WAN port also, which ends up going no where.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.