alrasl's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, September 28th, 2013 2:08 PM

Roku blocked by U-Verse Security

Once I switched to U-Verse, my Roku no longer worked. I changed the Wi-Fi Network selection and properly entered the new network key, but still nothing.

I went into the router settings and disabled the network security, and viola the Roku worked like a charm. But clearly, I can't leave my network unsecured everytime I want to use my Roku.

How can I work around the security, or make an exception for the Roku-only so that I can keep my network secured and still get function from my Roku?

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

My Roku XR works just fine with my wireless network on U-verse. I didn't have to make any changes to the router settings.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

alrasl - Make sure u-verse and Roku are both set to the same kind of security (WEP or WPA). The Roku web site is silent on security

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

If you have changed from DSL to UVerse, your wireless network is different and has a different password. Go into setting and remove your old wireless network and run setup again for your new wireless network.  The password is on the side of your RG.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

My old Roku 1100 had that issue with the uverse gateway and my netgear router behind running dd-wrt in the dmz. Trying it a few times in a row finally gets it on but it drops after a few weeks. I didn`t try to fix it on the uverse gateway setting but in dd-wrt there is a setting to allow the internet to ping it and that resolved it for me. Its been working for a number of months.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

Like I said earlier, I have 4 Roku's currently in my house, my family's and my sister in law and her family who are living with us while their house is being built, all are wireless and I had to do nothing to the RG to get them to operate. I went to setting, wireless, clicked on my network, entered my password for my network and they were all up and running in a matter of minutes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Sorry to re-hash an old thread but the issue seems to be what I am having right at this moment.

I used my roku on my cable modem, using wired connection as the cable drop was next to my primary tv and that is where my router sat all the time. 

Now, I moved to a house which already had U-verse in a dark corner of the house. Stretching a cable from the uverse gateway to the living room is darn near impossible or would be a very ugly ordeal, not liked by my significant other. So, I am required to use Wireless. Yet, I can not.

I thought I had a roku related problem and outlined my whole experience on their forums, which could be found at

(Link to my post)   Roku Forums • View topic - Roku-2 XS can not connect to wireless network

More I got entrenched into this, more I think this is a problem with U-verse and not roku. 

If anyone has experienced any strange thing, while making your roku (mine is roku 2 xs model) talk to the uverse gateway, please do let me know.

I tried buying a gaming adapter to convert my wireless signal into wired. Didn't work. Tried connecting to the uverse ssid directly. No luck there either. I purchased a wireless signal extender. Still nada. I'm at the end of my wit. I know the roku worked, at least with wired ethernet, before. I know uverse is working, for which, you, being able to read what I am writing right now, is a proof. So, where is the problem ? Can anyone shed any light on this ?

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

Not sure why you are having issues with your Roku.  I currently have 4 wireless Roku's in my house and they are all wireless and function with no issues.  You should not need any adapters or any pinholes in your router. 

On your Roku,  go to settings, network, wi-fi and try either update connection or setup new wifi connection. Make sure you have removed all extra equipment you have installed as it is not needed

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Yep.  My roku 2 xs was working fine until two weeks ago when I was told that u-verse had a network outage.  Every since then, my roku is being blocked, has spotty connections, skips streaming or disconnects altogether during viewing.  I have not been able to successfully reconnect since.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

my roku 2 was doing the same thing, but since we only use it on one tv and it is right next to the u verse modem, i just put an ethernet cable on it and it has worked fine since
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.