cooljw's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, March 18th, 2014 4:59 AM

Replace RG (3801HGV) with own router?

I have a Pace 3801HGV residential gateway. The only AT&T service I have is Internet, which is via fiber to the home (aka FTTP - fiber to the premises). As such, the only input going into my 3801HGV is a standard Cat5 ethernet cable. Shouldn't I be able to swap my 3801HGV for my own router? I tried the following two routers with varied success:

I copied my 3801HGV's settings (the Broadband connection settings which simply consist of a static IP, subnet, gateway, DNS, and MTU) and tried them in a DLink DIR-855L router. It worked except that certain websites seemed to not load or load very slowly - not sure why.

I also tried a Cisco E2000 router with the same Broadband settings but could not get an Internet connection at all.

Is there some proprietary signalling or something going on with the AT&T RG's for the Internet connection that other routers will not be able to duplicate?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I need gigabit ethernet ports. Looks like the NVG589 has them. Is there a way to get AT&T to swap out my RG?

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

10 years ago

You actually CAN use your own gateway behind ours but you have to make sure that gateway is in DMZ Plus mode in our RG or you will have issues with port routing and possibly the one where you had no service behind your own gateway. As long as you do that it should work perfectly. Our gateway is required for almost all installs as far as I know, you can't 100% use your own gateway.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I would also like to avoid the monthly equipment lease fee. I have an old 2Wire 270HG that I used to use with my FTTP service. Would this still work even though it is no longer supported by AT&T?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

So I bought a 3801HGV router the same exact one that AT&T is trying to force me to buy. Why can't I use the one I bought? It doesn't want to hookup for some reason. Everything works but I can't get the internet / service to work and they want to charge me for tech support!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.