dot4444's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Friday, April 11th, 2014 1:57 PM

Removing computer from network

Hi

I just bought a new desktop computer with windows 8.1. When i first turned it on my internet connection was auto found and was named network 2. How do i disconnect my xp computer from the router without losing my internet? Thanks

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

Goto: 

Control panel in start menu

Network 

look for your connection Local are connection, if wireless look for wireless connection click on it and a box will pop up

at the botton it will have a disable button , click that and your disconnected.

If you ever need to reconect then follow the same process and click enable.

or you could just simply reach around the back of the computer and unplug the ethernet cable.

But i do have a question what is the reason you want to disconnect your xp computer from the network? its not hurting anything sitting there idle

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dot4444@  wrote:

Hi

I just bought a new desktop computer with windows 8.1. When i first turned it on my internet connection was auto found and was named network 2. How do i disconnect my xp computer from the router without losing my internet? Thanks

What make/model is your modem/router?

How are the two computer connecting to the modem/router?

More than likely, if your new computer has connected to your modem/router already and has internet access, then I would say you'd be safe just unplugging your XP machine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

The xp computer is a desktop and is connected to the router.It is a ATT 2 wire. It will not be used for the internet anymore. I have already removed my virus protection from it. I have Norton 360 for 3 computers. I have a win 7 laptop too. I already have it disabled in network connections, and took out all the check marks in properties. I unplugged it from the router and lost my internet. I want to move the computer but can't. The xp is network 1 and the windows 8.1 is network 2. Thanks

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I should have said the xp and the 8.1 are connected by ethernet. Sorry

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

It's working. Before when i unplugged the xp ethernet cord from the router the ethernet light went out and i tried to use the wi-fi laptop and i got that gateway error. I took the ethernet cord from the xp, (came with router) connected it to the 8.1 using the same slot on the router i used for the xp and tried again. All lights are green. I am using the laptop now.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dot4444@  wrote:

It's working. Before when i unplugged the xp ethernet cord from the router the ethernet light went out and i tried to use the wi-fi laptop and i got that gateway error. I took the ethernet cord from the xp, (came with router) connected it to the 8.1 using the same slot on the router i used for the xp and tried again. All lights are green. I am using the laptop now.

It's quite possible, that if all you had previously was the desktop hard wired to the router, that the wireless on the router has been turned off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Joe

I've had wi-fi since 2004 with my first xp laptop. I just replaced it with the windows 7 laptop. Also have had a print server connected to it, and other devices are connected to it too.

It is possible that the gateway error i had is a windows 7 and 8 problem and not what i thought it was. I still get it sometimes on the laptop, but i just disable it and enable it and it works again. I haven't got that error on the 8.1 desktop.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.