For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
hutch1947's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, September 22nd, 2017 1:28 AM

Reconfiguring Internet Connection

I have received home-based telecommute offering that requires my computer be hardwired to my home...no satellite or wireless connections permitted...so, with my current set up with AT&T Wireless Access Point (WAP) connecting to the AT&T router, I tried to move the WAP from my bedroom to my computer room next to the computer...I connected the cable from the WAP to the Ethernet connection of the back of my computer...but I get no internet connection, and a diagnosed response of "Ethernet has no valid IP configuration".  I am definitely not computer-savvy, so what do I need to do to go hardwired, hopefully without moving a bunch of equipment & cords throughout the house.  Thanks.

Employee

• 

540 Messages

7 years ago

The WAP has nothing to do with the internet. It provides data to your wireless TV boxes. 

Your wireless TV boxes wont work until you plug that back into the modem.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Sheesh....thanks...shows you how much I do in fact know...so, I'll immediately reconnect it as was! Thanks again.

Employee

• 

540 Messages

7 years ago

No worries 🙂

There are a few options to get your PC hardwired.

-run an ethernet cable from the modem to the PC

-get a couple of ethernet over power devices (one plugs into power near the modem, and the other into power near your PC)

-a few of the wifi mesh nodes have ethernet ports, not sure how strict your company would be with this, as technically its "hardwired" but it is shooting thru the air to give that mesh node it's signal

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Okay, so here is what my prospective employer advised me:  The computer must have cable internet, hardwired to my home, no satellite or wireless internet service.  I must have a hardwired landline phone.  The telephone must be a corded traditional one; no cordless, cellular/wireless or VoIP phones.  I will need a standalone monitor (not a laptop or all-in-one).  I will need two different headsets.  A telephone headset that plugs into my phone, (must be corded, hands-free with volume control and mute button) and a USB headset that plugs into my computer...no 2-wire headsets that plug into the mic and headset jack are acceptable.  All my services (internet, phone, TV, cellular) are provided by AT&T/DirectTV.  The phones pose no problems.  My problem is how do I convert my internet to be acceptable (hardwired).  All my AT&T equipment is located about 180-feet from my computer room.  Do I need to buy additional equipment/cables, or can I do it without a major hassle.  Again, I sincerely regret asking how to do this seemingly easy task, but my computer knowledge is limited to the fact that I can show you what room it is located in.  Thanks for any help you may be about to provide.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, I posted my follow-up before I saw your answer.  Thanks again for your prompt reply. In the morning I will get the needed items. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.