For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Bambeau's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, April 22nd, 2019 5:10 PM

Random spikes in latency

For the past year or so I've dealt with this problem without finding any solution. The problem is that at seemingly random times my latency while playing games will spike to exceedingly high measures from 1-10 minutes; sometimes 400+ ms and other times past 6000 ms, yes six thousand. I've only been able to record a recurring instance around 10pm and 1am everyday. I have an AT&T U-verse router. The only things connected to the internet are two phones and my PC (Ethernet connection). The only people that usually connect to the router are me and my mother. I've tried resetting the router, changing to a static IP, refreshing the IP, changing my wireless router out with another in the house, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 years ago

Often this sort of thing is caused by your uplink being flooded with traffic during the period when your latency suffers.  You could check your upload byte count periodically, especially right before you expect one of these latency jumps.  Then if the latency does jump, record your upload byte count repeatedly along with what time they were taken, so you can see if your upstream was very busy.  If that is the issue, then we need to find out what is generating the upload traffic at that time.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I couldn't think of anything that would cause the internet traffic at 1am
being that I am the only one doing anything at that time. Proving my point
of it being at certain times, the same thing happened tonight at 1:07am.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 years ago

One time this happened to me, nobody was doing anything.  However, my daughter's phone decided to catch up on uploading photos and videos to Google Drive, which took a few hours and seriously degraded Internet performance.  It is never a good idea to assume anything when troubleshooting.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

That's good advice. But what tool would I use to measure byte count at a live time. I know what time I can start the tool and I will be able to measure it.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

5 years ago

The gateway's own diagnostic pages show the byte count.  On mine it is on the Broadband/Status tab and looks like this:

Capture-2019-05-09-bytecounts.GIF

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.