For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
redens9697's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2015 10:05 AM

Questions about upgrading/replacing leased equipment

Hi there, I'm a U-Verse customer with TV, Internet, and Voice(digital phone) service. I'm curious that equipment, though still functional, will be at times notably aged or inferior in specifications to newer equipment also provided under the same lease/equipment rental fees.

So, my question is this, Is it possible for me to self-install a newer Residential Gateway that will support N wireless signal devices at no cost or the cost of shipping? i.e. AT&T sends out the new unit. I handle the set up, and then send back the old RG? 

And would this same situation apply for something like newer AT&T DVR/TV box units as well? I ask because our house is one of the original Uverse Customers before the public release occurred so we have one of the original units from many years back.  I'm curious what the cost would be, if any at all, to self-install a newer unit as long as we send the old one back.

would there still be an equipment purchase fee, or just a cost of shipping/handling? if that.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@redens9697   Think you might wait until after the 1st of the year, big changes are coming to Uverse.  A DVR/STB not needed situation will come w/Home Media Gateway, that will handle routing, access and storage.

It will be built on 'thin hardware profile' DirecTV archtecture, setting us up for programs material coming from the  'cloud'. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I've read the article about it that was posted in August and it's listed as "coming in the next 24-36 months" So it may be quite a while to wait.

And if it's a simple matter of replacing a residential gateway then I don't mind handling that now. As for the actual DVR unit. That seems less of a significant change or upgrade. And yes, it is the first DVR unit AT&T offered for the U-verse service so it has changed with modern installs.

I'll get in contact with AT&T about upgrading that residential gateway sometime today.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Do I need to upgrade my Gateway!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

8 years ago

@jake8080 wrote:

Do I need to upgrade my Gateway!

Need more info...are you having issues with your current RG? 

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@redens9697 wrote:

I've read the article about it that was posted in August and it's listed as "coming in the next 24-36 months" So it may be quite a while to wait.

And if it's a simple matter of replacing a residential gateway then I don't mind handling that now. As for the actual DVR unit. That seems less of a significant change or upgrade. And yes, it is the first DVR unit AT&T offered for the U-verse service so it has changed with modern installs.

I'll get in contact with AT&T about upgrading that residential gateway sometime today.

Nope, didn't read it carefully:

"During the carrier's analyst day today, AT&T executive John Stankey said that the carrier is moving to "one consistent architecture" that is a "derivative of the DirecTV in-home architecture." He said the company will begin selling the platform across all its channels by the beginning of next year.

AT&T added the platform, which it called a "home media gateway" in its presentation, will support third-party broadband connections, LTE connections and AT&T broadband connections into users' homes".

This is 24-36 months:

"Concurrently, Stankey said AT&T is also developing a new content gateway that will link to its new in-home equipment. He said the gateway would allow users to access the same content outside their homes, including on networks that are not managed by AT&T. He said the new content gateway that will work with AT&T's in-home platform "will become a consolidated, single platform over the next 24-36 months."

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/att-stop-investing-u-verse-cpe-will-move-new-home-architecture-using-direct/2015-08-12

😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.