Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Questions about upgrading/replacing leased equipment

Highlighted
Contributor

Questions about upgrading/replacing leased equipment

Hi there, I'm a U-Verse customer with TV, Internet, and Voice(digital phone) service. I'm curious that equipment, though still functional, will be at times notably aged or inferior in specifications to newer equipment also provided under the same lease/equipment rental fees.

So, my question is this, Is it possible for me to self-install a newer Residential Gateway that will support N wireless signal devices at no cost or the cost of shipping? i.e. AT&T sends out the new unit. I handle the set up, and then send back the old RG? 

And would this same situation apply for something like newer AT&T DVR/TV box units as well? I ask because our house is one of the original Uverse Customers before the public release occurred so we have one of the original units from many years back.  I'm curious what the cost would be, if any at all, to self-install a newer unit as long as we send the old one back.

would there still be an equipment purchase fee, or just a cost of shipping/handling? if that.

Message 1 of 7
Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by skeeterintexas
‎12-22-2015 4:35 AM

Re: Questions about upgrading/replacing leased equipment

Uverse equipment can be direct shipped as replacement, normally 1 or 2 day shipping.

You can install and return original equipment via a UPS store front.

AT&T covers packaging/shipping costs both ways.

The following IPTV Gateways that can be upgraded by customer are 3800, 3801, 589.

Current b/g/n model gateways being supplied are 589, 599, 5268.

The b/g 3801 is still available as well.

Exception for self install (replacement) is for the 3812 inid with i38hg.

This unit (inid) requires a tech dispatch to replace gateway, as both a new NID and cat5 home run will need to be installed.

All gateways are currently provided for $7 per month equipment fee.

DVR is FREE on ufamily and above IPTV packages, $15 on Ubasic.

Caution, replacing DVR means losing all recordings that all stored on hard drive.

Future scheduled recordings programming will be intact, no need to set up. 

Standard receivers have not really changed, expect same gray model as original equipment. (Motorola market is 1200).

Up to (2) wireless receivers are available, one time fee of $49 plus $9 per month for each receiver (goes to $10 end of January 2016). Monthly charge of $9 ($10 1/28/16) for each hardwired receiver.  

All equipment receives periodic software updates without requiring the equipment to be replaced. The operation of newer receivers should be same.

Recommendation:

if your install is several years old, request a tech visit to insure the NID and wiring is up to date, receivers are preferred to be cat5 wiring not coax, at least the DVR where possible. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7
Expert

@redens9697   Think you might wait until after the 1st of the year, big changes are coming to Uverse.  A DVR/STB not needed situation will come w/Home Media Gateway, that will handle routing, access and storage.

It will be built on 'thin hardware profile' DirecTV archtecture, setting us up for programs material coming from the  'cloud'. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 3 of 7
Contributor

I've read the article about it that was posted in August and it's listed as "coming in the next 24-36 months" So it may be quite a while to wait.

And if it's a simple matter of replacing a residential gateway then I don't mind handling that now. As for the actual DVR unit. That seems less of a significant change or upgrade. And yes, it is the first DVR unit AT&T offered for the U-verse service so it has changed with modern installs.

I'll get in contact with AT&T about upgrading that residential gateway sometime today.

Message 4 of 7
Contributor

Do I need to upgrade my Gateway!

Message 5 of 7
ACE - Expert

@jake8080 wrote:

Do I need to upgrade my Gateway!

Need more info...are you having issues with your current RG? 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 7
Expert

@redens9697 wrote:

I've read the article about it that was posted in August and it's listed as "coming in the next 24-36 months" So it may be quite a while to wait.

And if it's a simple matter of replacing a residential gateway then I don't mind handling that now. As for the actual DVR unit. That seems less of a significant change or upgrade. And yes, it is the first DVR unit AT&T offered for the U-verse service so it has changed with modern installs.

I'll get in contact with AT&T about upgrading that residential gateway sometime today.

Nope, didn't read it carefully:

"During the carrier's analyst day today, AT&T executive John Stankey said that the carrier is moving to "one consistent architecture" that is a "derivative of the DirecTV in-home architecture." He said the company will begin selling the platform across all its channels by the beginning of next year.

AT&T added the platform, which it called a "home media gateway" in its presentation, will support third-party broadband connections, LTE connections and AT&T broadband connections into users' homes".

This is 24-36 months:

"Concurrently, Stankey said AT&T is also developing a new content gateway that will link to its new in-home equipment. He said the gateway would allow users to access the same content outside their homes, including on networks that are not managed by AT&T. He said the new content gateway that will work with AT&T's in-home platform "will become a consolidated, single platform over the next 24-36 months."

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/att-stop-investing-u-verse-cpe-will-move-new-home-architecture-usin...

Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support