Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Purchasing Modem

Teacher

Purchasing Modem

I just moved from UverseTV to DirecTV, but still have UVerse Internet.  I am being told I cannot buy my own modem, I have to use AT&T's and pay the monthly lease fee.  I asked for a new modem to replace my 2 wire and am told I have to keep it until it needs to be replaced.

AT&T is the only provider that requires a monthly fee and you can't buy your own, won't upgrade it so I can take advantage of the faster wireless speeds for my internal use.  How do you get around their policy?  I may reconsider if I am stuck, there are faster speeds to be had where I live at a cheaper price, and I can own the equipment and upgrade when I need to, not when it fails or I die.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by UsualSuspect
‎01-06-2016 4:45 PM

Re: Purchasing Modem

As of Jan. 2015, equipment (RG/DVR/STB) is leased from ATT and incur a monthly fee.

There is no "getting around the policy".

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Teacher

My RG is at 10 years old and I want the faster wireless for use within the house.  I am guessing I have bought it 10 times over with the monthly fee and it is just a cash cow for AT&T.  AT&T should allow upgrades every x number of years.  TW has 100 MB and I can own the hardware for less per month, and I get away from the 20-30 ms latency untruduction at the VRAD. Gigaspeed is not here and I doubt it will be anytime soon, so off to what serves my needs.  Thank you!

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

Yes you can get around the policy simply call AT&T and tell them you're having issues with Internet just walk through the questions they will ask you and deny everything, when a tech comes out just ask him to change out the modem.
Message 4 of 5
Teacher

I ended up with a new provider, 3 times the speed, less $$$ per month, no contract, and no modem fee. The 8269 was a tipping point, the brains at AT&T decided we should not have wireless repeaters, and when they brought out the 8269 I was forced to buy a wireless router and disable the 8269's WiFi. AT&T of course offered to hardwire an access point in at the back of the house, but I already had hardware there that has worked for over a year in previous versions.
I heard they fixed it in a recent software release, but it goes back to AT&T thinking they know what every customer wants, and if they break something they expect you to pay them to fix it by the hour, pay 3-4 times what the retail price is for equipment, and be happy while their technician learns how to on your install.
I may come back to AT&T some day, but their internet is slow compared to the competition, their installs are sloppy, and they have highly proprietary equipment which they use as an excuse for a monthly fee that is nothing more than a profit base, the excuse they have to control it does not wash, there are no other providers where I live that require you to lease equipment, there is an option to buy it, and buy from various retailers.

After listening to my neighbor this afternoon complaining about his AT&T alarm system being inaccessable since last night it solidifies why I left, there is better out there, and the bonus is, the competition charges less $$$ for better service.

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support