pduggan1's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Thursday, February 7th, 2013 5:21 PM

Problems Changing SSID and Password

After an interruption in wireless service with my 2Wire 3801HGV Residential Gateway, the AT&T diagnostic instructed me to power cycle and reset the RG.

This, of course, resets the SSID and wireless password to their original values.

I have attempted to restore my custom SSID and wirelss password using the instructions in the 3801HGV manual and from thie Board. When I push the save button at the bottom of the Settings > LAN page, the RG goes off into never-never land and my browser attempts to reload the page and I lose my wireless connection.

The new SSID shows up on my Wireless Network Connection panel (Windows 7) but I cannot log in. I must go through the AT&T Troubleshoot and Resolve Tool to re-establish wireless connectivity - with the old, default SSID and password I was attempting to change.

Can someone offer some advice.

Thanks in advance. I know I can count on you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Go into the Network and Sharing Center. In the left panel click on Manage Wireless Networks. Delete the old network and any network with the same SSID as the one you just created. Then when you rejoin it, it should prompt you for the password.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

First thing I would do is uninstall the AT&T Troubleshoot and Resolve tool.  Then go back into the RG by accessing it via 192.168.1.254 and make your changes, save, then re-boot the RG.  Try logging back into the RG wirelessly with your new credentials and see if it works.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I did as you suggested. The problem is that when I click the Save button on the RG page, it never come back. The browser loops in a continuous download and I lose connectivity.

Do I need to "log in" to the RG with the Device Access Code? Any otehr suggestions?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Okay I just tried mine, did my changes, hit "save" and another page popped up asking for my password.  Entered password and it said "configuration successful".

Maybe your RG is acting flakey.  Do a factory reset by pushing the red button next to where the power cord plugs in and it's marked "reset".

Keep in mind you will lose ALL customer settings if you do this.  It will take you back to factory default.  To get back in your password will be on the sticker on the side of the RG. 

Nevermind I see tech support already had you do that.  Let me ask you this......You are not trying to do this using a wireless connection, correct?  You are hard wired/plugged into a cabled connection?  If you are trying wireless try plugging in to the RG make your changes and see if you get the same behavior.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Use a cable - good idea!

I was able to go all the way through the configuration. But when I went back to wireless, the new SSID appeared in the Wireless Connection window but it would not connect. The connection routine did not offer an opportunity to enter the lassword.

But, there is progress. At least I can connect a cable to try something else.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Good let us know how it goes.  On this page http://home/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 set the option to WPA-PSK(TKIP and WPA2-PSK (AES)  then tick the "use custom wireless key" and put in your password.  You should be go!!

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

That's exactly what I did but I still cannot logon. My PC wireless finds the RG with the new SSID but does not logon. No opportunity to enter the new password.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I went through the Windows Network and Sharing center to Manually Connect to a Wireless Network so I could enter the password.

No luck. Same results.

Do you suppose the RG is become defective. I have reset it, powered doen, reset it again.No help.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Here is what my page looks like.  Is yours like this?  Your SSID will be differnt of course and probably your channel but the rest needs to be like the image below.

Wireless.jpg

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

That was the answer.

I'll add that to my storehouse of networking lore.

Best regards.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.