For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
prazvt's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2019 7:26 AM

Problem with 5268AC Modem (fiber) and Asus AC-88U / AX-88U routers

Hi All - I'm supremely frustrated right now as I don't really understand what's wrong.

So the past year or so, I've had the ATT 5268 fiber modem connected to my Asus RT-AC88U router.  I set it up day 1 after the initial ATT install.  Everything's been fine since then.  It handles all the routing to the multitude of devices in my home.  Then yesterday morning, the internet went out.  More specifically, the internet (wired / wifi) went out from the router.  The 5268 modem's wifi works and from what I can tell, my laptop could access the internet and run a speedtest while wired directly to the modem.

Aside from a recent firmware update to the router (a few days ago), no config changes had been done on the modem.  After sitting on the phone with tech support as they rebooted / re-loaded firmware to the modem, there was no luck.  The router interface would show a DHCP IP and the public WAN IP, but no internet connection (wired or wireless).  At that point, I thought there was something wrong w/ the router so I did a factory reset and it was behaving like it was bricked.  I said ok - I will deal w/ this router later, and I ordered a new Asus RT-AX88U router (I use Asus DDNS, so I prefer to stick w/ the brand).

It came in today and I have done the following based on various similar solutions I've seen.

1 - I setup the router w/ the internal LAN IP I prefer (192.168.0.1) and configured the basic wifi stuff, updated the firmware.

2 - on the 5268, I tried a few things - but ultimately the last thing I did was a factory reset.

3 - I turned off the wifi on the 5268.

4 - In the Firewall settings, I selected the new router (via it's MAC address in its name) and selected the DMZ+ option.

5 - in the Advanced settings, I unchecked everything.

6 - Saved the settings and rebooted the router.

Also I'd like to note I changed the ethernet cable going from the modem to the router and also ethernet cable going into the fiber input of the modem. 

The problem I am having now is that again, the router is getting a DHCP IP address, a public WAN IP address, but the internet starts to work for a few sites and then stops working.  Like Google and Youtube will work for a bit, but if I try to go to any other site, the browser times out.  I just don't get it.  It's a brand new router.

Is it possible that something is wrong w/ the 5268 modem?  Maybe the LAN ports?  <- I'm not sure about this either, as I have another router in another room that I use as an AP and that is still working when the source ethernet cable is plugged directly into one of the 5268 LAN ports.  After going through the troubleshooting w/ tech support again, ATT said they're sending a technician over on Saturday.  Meanwhile, just wondering if anyone has any ideas.  Setup seems pretty straight forward and frankly everything was just fine for like a year until yesterday.  Not sure what's changed.

Thanks.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Are the gateway and ASUS router using the same lan ip? When I had an ASUS router connected to the bgw210 gateway, I set the asus ip as .2.xxx and left the gateway non the default ip.  

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

Hi - the Asus is using 192.168.0.x, while the modem is using the default 192.168.1.x.  This is how it has always been setup.  

What's different here is that if enable DMZPlus and select the router, I'm not getting internet.  ie. if the Router shows the public WAN IP in its settings, it's a no go.  If I use the 'Allow Individual Applications' option and add 'All UDP' and 'All TCP' rules, I get internet to all devices.  But then my Asus DDNS won't work because the router is getting a local 192.168.1.x WAN IP.

So I'm stumped as to what changed.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Probably the latest firmware update broke DMZplus again. 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32412967-New-software-version-for-Pace-5268AC

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

@browndk26  - Thank You!  It appears that was the issue - I guess the modem must have been updated the other day and that broke DMZPlus.  I downgraded to the recommended firmware version and everything is working again.

Appreciate your help!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

Our's seems to be doing the same thing since yesterday with intermittent dropouts. We have a similar setup with an ASUS AC66U router. We called a tech to come out to check on this problem.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

Do mention to them the possibility that the latest modem firmware may be causing issues.  Since downgrading, I have not had any issues.  

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

I don’t know if the techs are authorized to downgrade firmware. About the only thing they could do is give him a bgw210 gateway. Which uses ip passthrough and is a more stable gateway. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

It looks like ATT updated the firmware again...ugh.  I'm going to have to call them this evening.  This is so annoying.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

5 years ago

@prazvt Can you believe that AT&T can't get their act together! Why are we paying them all of that money for them to screw up our service! What they should do is resend out the old (stable) firmware until they can iron out the bugs with the newer one! Simple!

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

5 years ago

@Super-Bee I agree.  I called AT&T tech support on my drive to work to explicitly call out the issue.  They gave me the line about not supporting 3rd party routers and how they do software updates to improve the stability of our connections, etc.  That's all fine and dandy, but if you're going to "improve stability" does that mean you're going to break functionality??  Since the only advice the techs can give me is to reboot the router or send a tech to my house, we're basically at an impasse at this tier of support.  On top of that, she was telling me that my connection was 'out of sync' - I'm not even sure what that means.  Likely, because I downgraded the modem's firmware again, that's probably what is out of sync.  My connection is up and running right now.

Anyway, she asked me to call the 'TechConnect' support.  So I'll give them a call and see if they are more receptive to the issue and have a better solution.  I get that AT&T can't hold off on firmware updates for individual customers, but I would imagine that EVERYONE who uses their own router is going through this.  The only other solution I can think of is to try the other modem (the BGW210) assuming it doesn't have similar issues.

I'll update once I have spoken to the tier 2 support folks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.