Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Possiable 3800 hgv-b router upgrade?

Announcements...
Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Possiable 3800 hgv-b router upgrade?

Hello all!

I was wondering if it's possiable to upgrade my 2wire 3800 hgv-b router to nicer/newer equipment. I currently have uverse as my cable TV provider. With that being said, does having uverse TV restrict what (if any) router I can use? I just feel like the equipment is starting to show its age. Any and all response are greatly appreciated, thanks for reading!

Cheers,

S Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 5
Employee

Re: Possiable 3800 hgv-b router upgrade?

You have IPTV service, do you also have internet?

For Uverse IPTV service, there are four possible residential gateways....

1) your current 3800, the original is still being used with software updates but is the same hardware.... 2.4 GHz b/g wireless with (4) 10/100 ports.... A single pair install generally less than 2200 feet loop length.... Best at under 1000 feet loop length.

2) the 3801 (believe released in 2009), more sensitive at longer loop lengths with improved performance both max sync obtainable and SN...single pair install RG... 2.4 GHz wireless with (4) 10/100 ports... Works up to 2200 feet (32M profile), 3000 feet (25M profile) and 4000 feet (19M profile). Best over 1000 feet, as runs hot (too strong on short distances).

3) the 3812 inid, released in fall 2010, strictly a bonded pair install RG designed for loop lengths 3000-6000 feet, has a separate indoor unit (i38hg) to provide internet as 2.4Ghz (4) 10/100 ports. Can also be used to support short loop POWER installs requiring bonded installations.

4) the Motorola 589, released 3rd quarter 2013, originally was for bonded POWER short loop and Giga FTTP installs due to 2.4 GHz b/g/n wireless and (4) 10/100/1000 ports.

This unit was released for new single pair installed of all distances plus recommended RG on frequent dispatch accounts.

Currently all 4 models are still being stocked at garages and on techs truck....

Generally principle is replace like for like on repairs. .. A 3800 for 3800, the 3801 for 3801. Inid for inid.

It is possible to ask for replacement to be shipped but not guaranteed what will receive... Need to exchange yourself and return orginial to ATT by a UPS store front. Or may request a tech visit (4 hour appointment window) and see what tech can do.

In our area each truck is currently stocked with (2) 3800, (2) 3801, (2) 589 and (1) inid. Depending on time of day and number of jobs tech has done and equipment used will determine which RG is best/available.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5

Thanks for the info. I'd like to go with the Motorola 589...

Thanks for the info. I'd like to go with the Motorola 589. Could you please let me know what next steps I should take (number to call/web page to visit/etc...)
Message 3 of 5
Employee

Re: Thanks for the info. I'd like to go with the Motorola 589...

There is only one number for all things Uverse.... 1-800-288-2020.

Either request shipment or tech visit....

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5

Will do, thanks so much for all the info and speedy respo...

Will do, thanks so much for all the info and speedy respones! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support