Tom21_1993's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Friday, August 8th, 2014 6:39 AM

Port-Forwarding on the Arris NVG589 Gateway

So im trying to forward ports for my xbox 360 on my new arris nvg589 gateway that at&t gave me and ive run into some problems. When i want to do the ports 80 (TCP) and 53 (TCP and UDP) it gives me a message saying "

Warning: The change you are attempting to make may cause AT&T U-verse TV to stop working properly.

The other ones however, ports 3074 (UDP/TCP) and 88 (UDP) work without giving me this message. should i just go ahead and click confirm anyways despite the warning message or is there something i could be doing wrong here?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

9 years ago

@FriendlyITGuy wrote:

The easiest way to setup port forwarding for xbox or ps4 etc as I have found.

1: Open any browser and type in 192.168.1.254

2: Click the firewall tab and select IP Passthrough

Note that what this does is send all unsolicited traffic from the Internet (that's not blocked by some Firewall filter in the RG) to your console.  This does serve to make it easier for game servers and other gamers to connect to your console, or anybody/anything else.

Specific Port Forwarding protects any other ports that your Console may listen on from external parties.

Adding a UPnP router (and putting it in IP Passthrough) would allow the console to open up holes in the UPnP router to direct it to the console, while leaving the console otherwise protected.  OTOH, UPnP could also allow malware within the network to rewrite the access rules for the router pretty much as it sees fit.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have 2 Xbox 360 consoles in my home and just recently, I started having problems getting both of them online at the same time. They can both connect to Xbox Live, but when trying to connect to the Bungie servers to play a game called Destiny, only one at a time can connect. Just a week ago they were both connecting fine. Is there a way to set up port forwarding for both machines?

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@rldlloyd wrote:

I have 2 Xbox 360 consoles in my home and just recently, I started having problems getting both of them online at the same time. They can both connect to Xbox Live, but when trying to connect to the Bungie servers to play a game called Destiny, only one at a time can connect. ...

This is the expected behavior

@rldlloyd wrote:

...Just a week ago they were both connecting fine....

That is very strange.  Without either having a public static subnet or a router with UPnP enabled between your two XBOXen and the U-verse Gateway, I do not have any idea how this was working.

@rldlloyd wrote:

... Is there a way to set up port forwarding for both machines?

No.  You can only forward a single port to a single internal machine.  This is a product of the way NAT works, and no NAT gateway can allow you to do so.

If you have your own router with UPnP, you can set it up in DMZplus/IP Passthrough mode behind the U-verse Gateway and it and the XBOXen will communicate to handle the presence of multiple XBOXen on your network and adjust the port numbering as needed.

If you had a public static subnet, you could assign each of your XBOXen their own public address and would have their own set of ports.  You rent a block of 5 usable publics from AT&T for a monthly fee.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@rldlloyd wrote:

I have 2 Xbox 360 consoles in my home and just recently, I started having problems getting both of them online at the same time. They can both connect to Xbox Live, but when trying to connect to the Bungie servers to play a game called Destiny, only one at a time can connect. Just a week ago they were both connecting fine. Is there a way to set up port forwarding for both machines?

Nope, see @JefferMC 's post just above yours mine. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Does anyone have a walkthrough on how to do this on the new 5268A.C.?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I did all the steps for the solution on this post and my NAT still says moderate on my Xbox One settings screen....I'm able to connect online but I get kicked from sessions A LOT. I'm just trying to figure out if its on my end or on Rockstars end (playing GTA online).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Will this make my Uverse TV stop working?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I'm having the same issues on my PS4 with the same router ... Can anyone direct me in right direction

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I had a Pinhole detected error on my router as I was trying to add custom ports for various webservers I had.  I thought the problem was with my ports, but somehow someone else had left a "Cisco" entry on port 8080 and 443 that was causing the pinhole error.  I removed those, and I was able to put in my custom ports.  I don't know if this was deliberate by AT&T or someone has "hacked my router", but these additions to the NAT/Gaming table prevented me from adding my own because they were pinhole conflicts, even though they had nothing to do with the ports I was using.  I suspect they will return after I reboot, but as long as my ports remain I'm happy.  I have removed them before and they come right back.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@gdaustinfrisco, if you have Wireless TV Receivers, your custom port 443 will be deleted.  AT&T reserves port 443 for management of the IPTV WAP and will delete your creation and replace it with their own.  Unfortunate decision on their part, but it's the way it is.  Not sure about the port 8080.

Some pre-defined port numbers come with the gateway so that you can assign the "applications" by name without having to assign names to the ports yourself.  They are not assigned to any devices out of the box, but are available for you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.