DavisS_ATX's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, January 16th, 2017 11:02 PM

Closed

Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed myself

In March 2016 my 2WIRE modem supplied by AT&T became unusable and after verifying with an ATT Technician that the modem was the problem I opted to go buy a new modem at Best Buy rather than have them send one out. (Needed home connectivity restored quickly for work.) I bought the Motorola NVG589 installed it and it has worked like a charm. I expected to receive paperwork to return the 2WIRE modem but did not. The $7 equipment fee keeps showing up on my bill and I called today to try to correct the situation and after three 45-minute conversations with three different groups - customer service, tech support and billing - a billing representative informed me that there was no need to return the 2WIRE modem and that there was a $7 equipment fee just to use the new modem I had purchased whether I had purchased it or not. The explanation I was given was that the modem I had purchased would support download speeds of greater than 12 Mbps. I have a DSL plus account which is supposed to provides speeds of 18 Mbps. They rattled of a list of modems that I could purchase and get the $7 fee waived - all of them were modems that would not reliably support 18Mbps. Basically high speed modems like the Motorola N589 must be rented from AT&T. This makes absolutely no sense to me since they sell it with AT&T logo on the front in retail stores. Has anyone else run into this?  

S

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

"You will probably ..."

I have been stolen from, in my own home by AT&T employees! ... And have been paying for THEIR THEFT ever since. These people are the worst and the mega corporation sticks by them.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

BTW, as I pay $7/month (for years) awaiting the 'coming very soon' fiber network,  my speed was turned down from 300 to 150mbs, because AT&T will not invest in the lines they use. Yes, as technology zooms forward, I get ROBBED by AT&T employees and also go backwards in time on my internet speed.

AT&T, the very worst in customer service!

Employee

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Every corporation has their faults, whether that be employees or the provided service. I do apologize for your experience with both, especially having been with At&t for as long as you have.

Your profile speeds should not have been reduced. As a technician myself, there's always a rhyme or reason for a sudden drop in bandwidth speed. I would definitely call in to get to the bottom of your sudden decrease in speed. A cable fault issue can be addressed by a technician if that's indeed the case.

Your internet 300 profile sounds like you're already on our Fiber network... or our main neighborhood box is right in your backyard. Very, very, few customers can reach Internet 100 speeds on At&t's traditional copper network so I'm curious exactly what you have going on.

That said, I would definitely make your own thread so we can get to the bottom of your specific trouble with your home network 🙂

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

My speed was cut in 1/2 as crews would be out around once a year. Old copper lines. I was told years ago I would have fiber very soon. Another reason not to believe AT&T. I am at the furthest end from the base station (25th& Sealy?), around 3 miles. Across the street would be 1.25 miles from another 'station' … But they have boundaries, like the old prefixes 762-my house - VS. 744-the other side of 47th street.

I did have a problem with one tech, Ray, now a manager tech. He decided to pound on my door like a drug raid. Everyone else ha been polite and helpful … This is like 25 techs over the years. I complained to AT&T about Ray and requested he never set foot on my property again. It was he that had my speed cut down from 3.0 to 1.5 for ‘reliability’ of transmission.

Again, I was SCAMMED by a non-tech AT&T employee when I had a crew of tech people out repairing lines. This is a separate issue all together. I was told there would be no charge to switch out modems, "Get a new one!" I got no reciept from my old (paid for) modem and months later notice the $7/month charge. Honestly, if I were a different type of person, I would consider getting my 'pound of flesh’. I see AT&T allowing people in my house that were misrepresenting themselves and basically STEALING from me as near criminal, at the very least it's scumbaggery! This is long term stealing! They got their small commission and I pay and pay and pay.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

My speed was cut in 1/2 as crews would be out around once a year. Copper lines. I was told years ago I would have fiber very soon. Another reason not to believe AT&T. I am at the furthest end from the base station (25th& Sealy?), around 3 miles. Across the street I would be 1.25 miles from another 'station' … But they have boundaries, like the old hard line phone prefixes; 762-my house - VS. 744-the other side of 47th street.

I did have a problem with one tech, Ray, now a manager tech. He decided to pound on my door like a drug raid. Everyone else has been polite and helpful (with an old broken infrastructure) … This is like 25 techs over the years. I complained to AT&T about Ray and requested he never set foot on my property. It was he that had my speed cut down from 3.0 to 1.5 for ‘reliability’ of transmission.

Again, I was SCAMMED by a non-tech AT&T employees when I had a crew of tech people out repairing lines. This is a separate issue all together. I was told there would be no charge to switch out modems, "Get a new one". I got no reciept from my old (paid for) modem and months later notice the $7/month charge. Honestly, if I were a different type of person, I would consider getting my 'pound of flesh’. I do see AT&T allowing people in my house that were misrepresenting themselves and basically STEALING from me as near criminal, at very least it is scumbaggery!  This is long term stealing! They got their small commission and I pay and pay and pay.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

It happened to me too about 2&1/2 years ago. The guy took modem with him and they charged me for it. They later reversed the charge. They also charged me 200.00 connection fee when I took it out of my husbands name and put it in mine. I had been paying the bill myself for years. Never late.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

I am sorry but not surprised to hear this. I have come to consider AT&T thieves and liars. *****

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

I am sorry to hear this. I am also not one bit surprised. Theft and lies are part of AT&T modus operandi.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

5 years ago

When ever I make a change in service with AT&T, there is always a billing problem. It took me several months to get the last one straightened out. I keep hoping that nothing breaks.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

I never got mine straightened out. AT&T chose their hired thieves over a 26 year customer. I will be done with these thieves and liars in just a few days,

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.