Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed myself

Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed myself

In March 2016 my 2WIRE modem supplied by AT&T became unusable and after verifying with an ATT Technician that the modem was the problem I opted to go buy a new modem at Best Buy rather than have them send one out. (Needed home connectivity restored quickly for work.) I bought the Motorola NVG589 installed it and it has worked like a charm. I expected to receive paperwork to return the 2WIRE modem but did not. The $7 equipment fee keeps showing up on my bill and I called today to try to correct the situation and after three 45-minute conversations with three different groups - customer service, tech support and billing - a billing representative informed me that there was no need to return the 2WIRE modem and that there was a $7 equipment fee just to use the new modem I had purchased whether I had purchased it or not. The explanation I was given was that the modem I had purchased would support download speeds of greater than 12 Mbps. I have a DSL plus account which is supposed to provides speeds of 18 Mbps. They rattled of a list of modems that I could purchase and get the $7 fee waived - all of them were modems that would not reliably support 18Mbps. Basically high speed modems like the Motorola N589 must be rented from AT&T. This makes absolutely no sense to me since they sell it with AT&T logo on the front in retail stores. Has anyone else run into this?  

S

Message 1 of 34
Tutor

Re: Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed my

Upon further research it appears than even if you purchase your own modem/router, ATT has changed their policy and will charge you 7.00$ a month regardless. Does not seem legal to me but that is what they are doing.
Message 16 of 34
Tutor

Re: Paying $7 a month equipment fee for a modem/router (MotorolaNVG589) I purchased and installed my

Wow!! To bad ATT has to use underhanded tactics to squeeze more money from its loyal customers. I am thinking they probably won’t be so loyal any more.
Message 17 of 34
Tutor

I am also  paying for broadband connection over $7 monthly. 

Message 18 of 34
Employee

$7 is a grandfathered rate. 

For NEW customets since April 2016 the equipment fee is $10. Some promotions have the fee included during promotion, to be seen after promotion expires. 

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 34
Tutor

Looks like  you are rich enough. Carry on!

Message 20 of 34
Contributor

seems like a few years ago the government (FCC I think) required the internet providers to allow (or make available) consumer owned equipment WITHOUT fees and not just ATT. I dont know if that is fact - just something that my old brain may recall or just an "I wish it was true"

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 21 of 34
Teacher

Where can I return my NVG 589 modem to avoid paying $7/month.

Message 22 of 34
Highlighted
Teacher

Where can I return my NVG 589 modem to avoid paying $7/month.

TY

Message 23 of 34
ACE - Expert

@RaymondGuy 

Did you read the solutions for this thread?

But if you insist you can return your gateway by calling customer support (or specify "cancel" as you navigate down the phone tree) so they have a record that you want to cancel service because without the att gateway you have no service.  You will probably be given instructions but they will be essentially to take your att (and uverse if you have that) equipment to a UPS Store or FedEx for a free return (they will also want your account number).  You will have 21 days from the cancellation time to do the return or you be charged for the equipment.

This is a public forum and I am a customer just like you. Click kudo if you feel this post is helpful and "Accept as Solution" if it solves your problem.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 34
Teacher

"You will probably ..."

I have been stolen from, in my own home by AT&T employees! ... And have been paying for THEIR THEFT ever since. These people are the worst and the mega corporation sticks by them.

Message 25 of 34
Teacher

BTW, as I pay $7/month (for years) awaiting the 'coming very soon' fiber network,  my speed was turned down from 300 to 150mbs, because AT&T will not invest in the lines they use. Yes, as technology zooms forward, I get ROBBED by AT&T employees and also go backwards in time on my internet speed.

AT&T, the very worst in customer service!

Message 26 of 34
Employee

Every corporation has their faults, whether that be employees or the provided service. I do apologize for your experience with both, especially having been with At&t for as long as you have.

Your profile speeds should not have been reduced. As a technician myself, there's always a rhyme or reason for a sudden drop in bandwidth speed. I would definitely call in to get to the bottom of your sudden decrease in speed. A cable fault issue can be addressed by a technician if that's indeed the case.

Your internet 300 profile sounds like you're already on our Fiber network... or our main neighborhood box is right in your backyard. Very, very, few customers can reach Internet 100 speeds on At&t's traditional copper network so I'm curious exactly what you have going on.

That said, I would definitely make your own thread so we can get to the bottom of your specific trouble with your home network Smiley Happy

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 34
Teacher

My speed was cut in 1/2 as crews would be out around once a year. Old copper lines. I was told years ago I would have fiber very soon. Another reason not to believe AT&T. I am at the furthest end from the base station (25th& Sealy?), around 3 miles. Across the street would be 1.25 miles from another 'station' … But they have boundaries, like the old prefixes 762-my house - VS. 744-the other side of 47th street.

I did have a problem with one tech, Ray, now a manager tech. He decided to pound on my door like a drug raid. Everyone else ha been polite and helpful … This is like 25 techs over the years. I complained to AT&T about Ray and requested he never set foot on my property again. It was he that had my speed cut down from 3.0 to 1.5 for ‘reliability’ of transmission.

Again, I was SCAMMED by a non-tech AT&T employee when I had a crew of tech people out repairing lines. This is a separate issue all together. I was told there would be no charge to switch out modems, "Get a new one!" I got no reciept from my old (paid for) modem and months later notice the $7/month charge. Honestly, if I were a different type of person, I would consider getting my 'pound of flesh’. I see AT&T allowing people in my house that were misrepresenting themselves and basically STEALING from me as near criminal, at the very least it's scumbaggery! This is long term stealing! They got their small commission and I pay and pay and pay.

Message 28 of 34
Teacher

My speed was cut in 1/2 as crews would be out around once a year. Copper lines. I was told years ago I would have fiber very soon. Another reason not to believe AT&T. I am at the furthest end from the base station (25th& Sealy?), around 3 miles. Across the street I would be 1.25 miles from another 'station' … But they have boundaries, like the old hard line phone prefixes; 762-my house - VS. 744-the other side of 47th street.

I did have a problem with one tech, Ray, now a manager tech. He decided to pound on my door like a drug raid. Everyone else has been polite and helpful (with an old broken infrastructure) … This is like 25 techs over the years. I complained to AT&T about Ray and requested he never set foot on my property. It was he that had my speed cut down from 3.0 to 1.5 for ‘reliability’ of transmission.

Again, I was SCAMMED by a non-tech AT&T employees when I had a crew of tech people out repairing lines. This is a separate issue all together. I was told there would be no charge to switch out modems, "Get a new one". I got no reciept from my old (paid for) modem and months later notice the $7/month charge. Honestly, if I were a different type of person, I would consider getting my 'pound of flesh’. I do see AT&T allowing people in my house that were misrepresenting themselves and basically STEALING from me as near criminal, at very least it is scumbaggery!  This is long term stealing! They got their small commission and I pay and pay and pay.
Message 29 of 34
Tutor

It happened to me too about 2&1/2 years ago. The guy took modem with him and they charged me for it. They later reversed the charge. They also charged me 200.00 connection fee when I took it out of my husbands name and put it in mine. I had been paying the bill myself for years. Never late.

Message 30 of 34
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you having trouble logging in? Is your email password not working? Let us show you how to Reset your Email Password using myAT&T!

Additional Support