JFC31's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, February 21st, 2014 3:18 AM

Pairing a Netgear WM2500RP range extender with the Motorola NVG589 router

I'm having trouble pairing a Netgear WM2500RP range extender with the Motorola NVG589 router. I just moved from Charter to ATT uverse. The range extender was very easy to pair with Charter's router but it simply won't connect to the Motorola. Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, it should work with U-Verse. It uses WPSv1 which they call "Push 'N' Connect" If you haven't already done so, you will have to enable Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) on your RG. 

Enabling WPS on your RG.

1. Open your web-browser and navigate to the Residential Gateway Portal.
  2. Click the "Home Network" tab, and then select "Wireless" (Here's a direct link.)
  3. Input your RG's Access Code (The default is found on a sticker on the side/bottom of your RG.)
  4. Change the WPS option from "Off" to "On" and click Save. 

Continue by pairing the extender. 

1. Push the "Push 'N' Connect" button on your extender.
  2. Push the WPS button on the Residential Gateway. (If the WPS light flashes green, WPS is  turned on and searching. If the WPS light turns on red, it means that WPS is turned off or there was a problem enabling WPS. 

There are some concerns regarding WPS and it's security. Most notably, how it can be used and manipulated to allow access to your network (primarily due to it's PIN based authentication.) Due to these security concerns, it's advisable you turn WPS off again after you have paired your extender. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Regarding your Sony DVD Player

Sony has began enabling two Wi-Fi connection methods for their Wi-Fi enabled Disc Players. For older models, only one of the two may be available. You have the option to connect via WPS or WPA-PSK authentication. 

For WPS enabled Sony DVD Players

(You must enable WPS on the RG)

1. Press Home, Select Setup>Network Settings>Internet Settings and pres Enter. 

2. At the "Start Setting" screen press Enter to Start. Select 'Wireless' at the "Connection Method" screen.
3. Select "Automatic Registration (WPS)" and press Enter.

4. Press Enter to Start and immediately following, press the WPS button on the RG. 

5. Perform Network Connection Diagnostics to ensure Network Connections are correct.

6. Press Enter when "Settings are Complete" appears.

For WPA-PSK enabled Sony DVD Players

(You must know the Security Key. The default key is found on a label on the RG, and on the Residential Gateway Portal, under Wireless and next to Network Key.)

1. Press Home, Select Setup>Network Settings>Internet Settings and pres Enter. 

2. At the "Start Setting" screen press Enter to Start. Select 'Wireless' at the "Connection Method" screen.

3. Select "Access Point Scan" and press Enter.

4. The DVD player will scan for Networks. You must choose your network's SSID. (ATT followed by 7 characters.)

5. Check the Security (It will automatically be selected, if it's not choose WPA-PSK) and press Enter

6. Input the WPA Network Key.

7. Choose "Auto Acquisition" on the next screen, Auto on the following screen, and Do Not Use on the next screen.

8. Perform Network Connection Diagnotics to ensure Network Connections are Correct. 

9. Press Enter when "Settings are Complete" appears.

If your DVD Player doesn't connect. You can attempt to restart the RG and attempt it again. 

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Hello JFC31,

The Netgear WM2500RP range extender is a MoCA (Multimedia over Coaxial Alliance) to Wireless (Wi-Fi) device. AT&T's U-verse devices use HPNA (Home-Phone Networking Alliance). As far as I know they are incompatible technologies.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry I was off by one letter...the range extender is Netgear WN2500RP.

http://www.netgear.com/wn2500rp

Thanks for your help....will this work with uverse?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry I was off by one letter...the range extender is Netgear WN2500RP.

http://www.netgear.com/wn2500rp

Thanks for your help....will this work with uverse?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I also have a Sony DVD player that has wifi capability that I use to get onto Netflix and that is not working either. It recognizes the ATT wireless network but won't connect to internet. Both of these devices worked perfectly with Charter Communications router.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

That did it!....the problem was that the router default setting for WPS is "off". So when I was trying to pair the router with the extender(and my Sony DVD player) by pushing both WPS buttons, it wasn't successful. Once I set the router WPS to "on" it was quick & easy. Thanks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hey all -- Can anyone tell me where I can get a similar router -- the Netgear WM2500RP MoCA-to WiFi extender ?

Thanks! B

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

@bridgit.wolf@  wrote:
Hey all -- Can anyone tell me where I can get a similar router -- the Netgear WM2500RP MoCA-to WiFi extender ?

Thanks! B

The device you're looking for was in engineering sample phase only last June. The devices are also strictly CPE (customer premise equipment) and thus would only be available through an ISP or other TV provider with qualifying services and I'm sure they'll also have specific ISP and/or TV provider based proprietary firmware tweaks.

There are available, retail versions, of MoCA to Ethernet adapters.

There are drawbacks though. Most M to E bridges are going to limit you to 100Mbps over the Ethernet port, and could also be detrimental to any video services also using the COAX.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Joe -- Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into those options.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.